Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the merger of o2 and 3 have an impact on lte investment

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

This report indicates that one of the concerns from the regulators of going from 4 to 3 operators will not impact investment make your own mind up from the info in the report . (regulators think it will be bad)

http://opensignal.com/blog/2016/03/18/data-deep-dive-will-the-merger-of-o2-and-3-impact-u-k-4g-quali...

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122900 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Thanks for that @adamtemp64. Will the report have any effect on the regulators I wonder. They seem to be stalling a lot...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23060 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

This article has some interesting answers to customer FAQ's:

http://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/news/2015/01/three-and-o2-merger-what-does-it-mean-for-you-we-answer-...

This recent article is pro the merger, but being a Three customer myself, I'm not so sure:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/03/14/its-time-for-three-and-o2-to-be-allowed-to-merge/

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 8

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Interesting report there @adamtemp64 interesting to see that there doesn't appear to be any direct correlation between 4 or 3 operators.

Regretfully I feel (my opinion only) that the regulators will block this merger, as everything i've read that has been anything close to "official" has raised nothing but concerns despite 3's owners confirming 5 years of price freezing and a reasonable investment.
Message 4 of 8

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

It seems the MVNOs could have a bearing on this, notably Tesco who want to buy out O2's stake.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/03/08/tesco-seeks-deal-to-buy-o2-out-of-joint-venture-for-m...

"The supermarket, which has had a 50:50 joint venture with O2 since 2003, is aiming to buy the portion of Tesco Mobile it does not already own and secure a long-term deal with Hutchison for capacity on the merged 3 and O2 networks, according to industry sources."

" It is understood that Hutchison is likely to welcome a sale of O2's stake in Tesco Mobile, as the Hong Kong conglomerate believes it would help convince competition watchdogs to approve its own takeover.

The European Commission’s modelling has predicted that consumer prices could increase 6pc as a result of the combination of 3 and O2, according to sources. The figure would fall to 1pc if Tesco mobile was independent, it is claimed."

Message 5 of 8

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
Yeah, i posted that story a while back. Interesting idea.
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 6 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23060 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It seems the MVNOs could have a bearing on this, notably Tesco who want to buy out O2's stake.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/03/08/tesco-seeks-deal-to-buy-o2-out-of-joint-venture-for-m...

"The supermarket, which has had a 50:50 joint venture with O2 since 2003, is aiming to buy the portion of Tesco Mobile it does not already own and secure a long-term deal with Hutchison for capacity on the merged 3 and O2 networks, according to industry sources."

" It is understood that Hutchison is likely to welcome a sale of O2's stake in Tesco Mobile, as the Hong Kong conglomerate believes it would help convince competition watchdogs to approve its own takeover.

The European Commission’s modelling has predicted that consumer prices could increase 6pc as a result of the combination of 3 and O2, according to sources. The figure would fall to 1pc if Tesco mobile was independent, it is claimed."

Speaking from a personal (and selfish) perspective, as a Three customer, the takeover worries me. I don't want to lose the 'Feel at Home' perk that I have now, and I doubt that Three would be able to afford to provide free roaming for 30 million customers.

I do, however, think that Tesco buying O2's stake isn't a bad idea. MVNO's are what's keeping prices competitive. As long as the three remaining networks improve and maintain the mobile network infrastructure, and @adamtemp64's article seems to bear that out in other countries, then the merger will probably go ahead.

I think the proof of the pudding will be how they deal with the advent of 5G, which really isn't all that far away.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 7 of 8

Curr946
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 2174 Posts
  • 133 Topics
  • 44 Solutions
hold the bus, some folk are still only getting 2G grin
Current Phone: Sony Xperia XZ Premium
Message 8 of 8