Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WiFi abroad..a query

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

You know I am a technophobe.... that goes without saying but I have had some major problems with the WiFi in my apartment since I arrived in Spain. Not with my mobile... but both laptops. Never had an issue before.

The Wifi company is a small one run by a well respected bloke in this area of Spain.....

So my question is this...

Is it possible for the company to 'power down' the connection if they see there has been no usage for a period of time.....

I will wait for any answer to this part of the question before I ask the next one....and tell you the status to date...

(I admit to technophobia but pride myself on being logical you see) Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Theoretically, yes, but makes no sense if the phone is connecting OK.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Well the phone did connect ok..in fact half of my morning posts on here were done via that route...I know it may not make sense but I though this was possibly due to it being a smaller device...and I had used the phone numerous times here.

However, the laptop (which is the one I brought with me from UK yesterday) kept running slow and timing out and this was on every site I use. (bearing in mind in this apt last summer the wifi coped with 3 laptops, one tablet and 3 phones)

Which is why at first I thought it couldn't be the Wifi.....I had connection on the laptop with no error messages)

However I rebooted the router...and did forget network and other things and it seemed to work temporarily...

It was a temporary fix however.....until this afternoon.....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Run a speedtest and see if it's an issue.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

It doesn't appear to be an issue now.....(I did say I would tell you the rest of the tale if anyone agreed powering down was possible...)

I rang the WiFi guy......

Me:  Hey Vasco...is there a problem with my Wifi? Its running slow and disconnecting my laptop... getting sick of it now

Vasco: No how could you think that? Have you rebooted the router.??...

Me (Interrupting him) yes yes and yes...I have done all that.... I have full connection on laptop and no errors showing but it's still timing out  Evil I am going up town now and will try my laptop in the internet cafe.....( I wasn't going to do this at all...but wanted to spur him on)

Vasco No need for that I will be back in the office in a couple of hours...ring me again if you have problems...

Two hours later...guess what? Laptop is now running perfectly (fingers blumming crossed)

So you decide....Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Is he hosting the wifi ?

Currently using:
Message 6 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Is he hosting the wifi ?

Dunno Rich...I know if you have any problems he can tell you what they are and correct them without coming out....Sometimes if he is installing in another apartment the Wifi may cut out and he can give you that reason. I don't know how these Wifi companies work here if honest. Whether they are franchises or what.

His office is 5 mins away from me so very convenient...and also highly recommended

Of course the other thing could be that this UK laptop has stopped having a hissy fit about connecting to another internet connection?.....

It just seems coincidental that it is working ok now after my phone call.....I was getting ready to launch it this morning...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If he is hosting it he could be controlling the bandwidth and may have dropped yours down because you weren't there.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
If he is hosting it he could be controlling the bandwidth and may have dropped yours down because you weren't there.

Oh thank you...see I told you I wasn't technical but logically it was too coincidental to be anything else..

i.e. Not in the office now but give me a ring in a couple of hours if you are still having problems Bouncy

Btw I move into another apartment on Monday ...same wifi run by the same bloke....oh dear Vasco...how confused will you be?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 15

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Give him advanced notice that you're moving in.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 15