Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is 02 such a top off to upgrade cheaper on carphone warehouse

Richardjones749
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Why is 02 such a rip off when you want to upgrade. 02 should at least have a comparable deals but no they are dramatically different to what's on offer at carphone warehouse. It's like they are purposefully out to rip people off. How can 15gb tarrif and an s9 plus which is only 64gb on 02 but is 128 gb on carphone 57 a month and 39.99 upfront when I can get a 128gb phone plus 30gb tariff and only 9.99 upfront and only pay 45 a month. I mean it's a big difference 02 ought to be ashamed at their offering
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122358 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Richardjones749 There again you can only get Refresh contracts if bought directly from O2. Thats a deal breaker for many people wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Some customers are eligible for discounts and deals that are only available if you buy from O2 directly.
CPW also use the commission they get from networks to discount their tariffs, but the bottom line is that the prices are clearly shown and it's entirely the customers choice where to buy from.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
@Richardjones749 I just checked the O2 shop to be sure, and the S9 plus is offered at 128gb starting at £52 pm, £39.99 upfront for, admittedly, only 2gb plus a free Galaxy Tab A. I don't think Samsung made the S9 plus for only 64gb.

Yes, O2 may be pricier but they are offering Refresh contracts as well which, as @Cleoriff states, is a deal breaker for many.

And as @MI5 also says prices are clearly shown and we all have a choice who we buy from.
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 6

Infobleep
Level 4: Observant
  • 71 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

An old post but I thought it worth clarifying. Samsung do make an S9 Plus 64GB model and it's the one I was interested in buying. Alas O2 don't offer it. They prefer to offer the 128GB model.

However the 128GB model is more expensive on contract than buying the phone outright and purchasing a separate SIM. This isn't necessarily the case with the S9.

In fact I think the S9 Plus 128GB model is more expensive on some contracts than the Note 9 on contract! Purchased outright the Note 9 is more expensive.

Some other mobile phone providers, such as EE and Vodafone but not all, do offer the S9 Plus 64GB model. However I personally don't wish to move away from O2. However nor do I wish to buy the phone outright in one go. Thus I'm looking at the Note 9 as it's better value on contract, whilst still having a better camera than the S9.

Message 5 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122358 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Infobleep

Try Carphone Warehouse. They have the model you want and you can stay with O2 wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 6