cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which new iPhone are you most excited about?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi guys,

As you all know, this week Apple announced the upcoming launch of several new iPhone models which you can see below.

iPhone Xs
iPhone Xs Max
iPhone XR
iphone_Xs_64gb_gold_sku_header.png
iphone_xs_max_gold_sku_header.png
iphone-xr-64gb-black-sku-header.png

They all look and sound absolutely fantastic heart_eyes, and I'm sure you're all very excited about getting your hands on one of them or finding out what they are like from first hand reviews. You can read more about the specs and current details available for each of these devices on the links above. More information on pre-order and launch dates, including a Q&A can be found here.

So which one of these are you looking forward to the most, and will you be pre-ordering?

Let us know in the comments smiley

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Hearing this a lot, £749 is not a "cheaper alternative" and to have a 720p display in 2018 is quite an insult tbh.
Message 21 of 29

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

Have to say though, this annoyed me...

20180912-iphone-xs-xs-max-depth-adjustment.jpg

1. Don't act like this is innovative, changing background blur is a basic function nowadays as seen ...

_20180917_114854.JPG

Just because you renamed it to look like people were changing the f-stop aperture....

Also, you don't have variable aperture, so putting those f stop numbers is just lying, flat out lying.

Even the 2 devices with variable aperture (S9, Note 9) don't put f stop information in the background blur, because it's 100% software.

Message 22 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:
Hearing this a lot, £749 is not a "cheaper alternative" and to have a 720p display in 2018 is quite an insult tbh.

When I went to school £749 was cheaper than £999  Smiley Indifferent

It's all relative though, and here's an article that offers an interesting insight on benchmarks, and why they don't always tell us the whole story  wink

https://lifehacker.com/how-benchmarks-work-and-when-you-should-pay-attention-t-1792579167

Message 23 of 29

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
It might be cheaper than 999, (which btw no iPhone is on O2, they all cost a fair whack more than the RRP) but they touted this on stage as, and I quote "the iPhone for everyone"
No, it's not is it.
There is so many better devices for cheaper, it's insulting to put this one out over £$€700
At 800p it should actually be the fastest iPhone, by some margin, with only a third the screen resolution, it will use less CPU and GPU allowing it to run much much faster than the XS or XS MAX, I bet it won't though.

And don't worry about benchmarks, real world use is where it's at.
Message 24 of 29

Haylzzz74
Level 1: Joiner
  • 10 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi people i must say O2 look to have been a little clever on their iphone preorders, it looks like all the colours etc are still all in stock, but are they? As they state order now and your iphone will be delivered FROM 21st Sept, whereas other sites state delivery BY 21st Sept, hhhmmm hope this doesnt mean people are ordering thinking they will get it for sure on Fri 🤔
Message 25 of 29

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 26 of 29

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions
In synthetic benchmarks like geekbench Apple processors are always good performers.

In terms of processing power the Samsung exynos is the next best thing. Kirin CPU used by Huawei is a close contender.

Snapdragon 845 and so forth should do most mere mortals unless you plan to use 3rd party apps which use a lot of power.

Come to think of it the processor race is an example of how petty people are. YouTube videos perpuate the narrow minded view of a few.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 27 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

@anticpated wrote:
In synthetic benchmarks like geekbench Apple processors are always good performers.

In terms of processing power the Samsung exynos is the next best thing. Kirin CPU used by Huawei is a close contender.

Snapdragon 845 and so forth should do most mere mortals unless you plan to use 3rd party apps which use a lot of power.

Come to think of it the processor race is an example of how petty people are. YouTube videos perpuate the narrow minded view of a few.

I think it’s just vanity really, as most of us don’t really need anything like the processing power that the latest devices offer. Admittedly, there are probably some hardcore gamers who might benefit I suppose. But considering the kind of tasks that the majority of users need to perform, I find it ironic that the most powerful computer that I own, is the one that I carry in my pocket. 

Message 28 of 29

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

The camera aperture is approximately 1 tenth the length of the focal length on a lens. Therefore any moire blurring or otherwise filter used on the iPhone software has to be software based.

This aside. The hype train has started it's journey. Toot toot! 😁

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 29 of 29