cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What tips do you have to help your phone run faster?

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

A member of the O2 Guru team has shared some great tips on how to improve a slow phone (CLICK HERE) by making sure its running as smoothly as it can be. Below are some of the tips and you can find full descriptions of each over on the business blog itself, but I've included the first one below:

- Clear that cache 

The first thing we did  – and something we’d highly recommend – was to ask an O2 Guru for their advice. Our Guru says:

“When a slow phone is the issue, I explain that it’s just like maintaining a car; as long as it has a checkup every few months, it’ll run almost as well as it did when you first bought it. The best thing you can do is to go into the App Manager on an Android phone, go into each app and see if the ‘Cached Data’ has a large amount of storage. This is a buildup of used data (such as statuses and videos on Facebook) and by clearing the cache, or ‘unclogging the pipe’, it makes the app run faster and also helps the phone gain the extra space required to take more photos and videos.”

- Delete forgotten apps

- Use SD cards and external storage

- Giving your device a soft reset.

How do you speed up your device? What tips do you have that can share with everyone here? 

slow.jpg

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Simply reboot every couple of days and do the empty cache at least once a week.

I use Clean Master personally,  perfect for getting rid of junk files etc.

Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Turn off location settings completely or just the apps that you don't want to use your location because the phone will continually search for your location which then drains the battery
Message 3 of 10

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Samsung agree, clean master tech is part of the system resources on galaxy s6, keeping it all running as smooth as possible. 

Message 4 of 10

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Samsung agree, clean master tech is part of the system resources on galaxy s6, keeping it all running as smooth as possible. 

I can't fault it to be honest apa r t from the constant reminders to activate the anti virus.  Maybe I'll get rid of Lookout and do it....

Message 5 of 10

cyrillicguy
Level 8: Talented
  • 247 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Assuming we're talking Android then, if you feel confindent and don't mind loosing your warranty, then root it and uninstall all the manufacturer's bloatware. 

Another thing to do once your phone is rooted, get the "Wakelock Detector" app and the "Disable Service" app. The first one is to detect services that constantly keep your phone awake even when the screen is off, and the second one - to actually disable these services.

All the above though has to be done with strict caution.

One of my phones is a Chinese dual-sim gadget, one of the cheap and cheerful noname ones, bought it for something like £80. So the above procedures really helped in terms of speeds and battery life.

That said, I've got a Z3 Compact phone as well, which tbh I did not even think of rooting. Done all the tweaking using standard Android means - disabled a few apps, restricted background data on other few, cache cleaning now and then as it was mentioned already. But the phone is fast and responsive as it is. Great gadget slight_smile

Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I do nothing other than turning off and back on once a week (or when I think about it).
Cache clearing will save a few kb's at best and will be replaced as soon as you open the app again anyway.
I also leave apps open that I use regularly as this saves battery and processing power by not having to keep opening and closing them.
I also won't touch a phone with less than 2gb of RAM these days as anything else just won't cope with my demands.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

I also leave apps open that I use regularly as this saves battery and processing power by not having to keep opening and closing them.

Many people find that hard to understand, but from what I've read it's quite true. slight_smile

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I'd never lead anyone astray wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 10

Mark_1980
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 128 Posts
  • 9 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

@MI5 wrote:

Many people find that hard to understand, but from what I've read it's quite true. slight_smile

Yep, it's true. Leaving apps open does use less battery than constantly closing and re-opening them (certainly true on iOS). This is because, as MI5 explained, the phone doesn't have to use battery and processing power to continually re-open them.

iOS 'pauses' each app when you come out of it, so that it's not using any power. The only time that an app will use power in the background is if you have background usage enabled. The app would then use power whether it has been closed or not. Examples of this would be apps such as Facebook or Twitter where the phone is continually checking for notifications. Battery usage is absolutely minimal though slight_smile

I don't care what rank I am and neither should anyone else.
Message 10 of 10