Did you mean: 

What phone should I get?

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

I currently use an iPhone 6 and I'm eager to leave the world of Apple behind (its been a fair few years!) and enter the world of Android. All of the comments here on the community, as well as from my friends have convinced me that its a better fit. I've stick with Apple because of the music I have purchased through them, but I want to customise my device in many more ways and want to free up my ability to use music in more easily. 

I'm liking the look of the Sony Xperia Z5 or the LG G4, but wanted to hear from you on what you'd recommend and why. You guys know more about this stuff than me!

I need:

- Easy navigation

- Storage freedom (e.g. SD card access if possible)

- Sturdy physical design (I'm a chronic dropper)

However, I'm quite open to suggestions, so if you have a good one, do let me know below slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 54
53 REPLIES 53

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Note 3 at the moment @Toby...but looking forward to the Note 6

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2446453/galaxy-note-6-release-date-price-rumours-and-specs

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 54

MI5
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

Lots of specs that might suit you @Toby Much more pure versions of Android from Motorola (less bloatware)

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_x_force-7555.php

Samsung add very little bloatware these days (in response to customer criticism) and a new Android user would find Samsung skinned versions much easier to use that stock Google.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 54

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12070 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

I am in a similar predicament - contract "expires" next month so am looking at potential candidates.

Of the currently available devices, the ones that have my interest are the LG G4 and the Sony Xperia Z5 (available through o2), and the Moto X Force (only available through 3rd party).

They tick the boxes with regard to removable storage, and the G4 even has swappable battery.

The LG and the Moto are also qHD screens (1440x2560 resolution) while the Z5 is "just" HD.

Spec comparison (courtesy of gsmarena.com)

However the G4 runs the 808 Snapdragon while the Moto and the Z5 are on the 810. The reason this is relevant is performance - in theory the Moto will perform better than the G4 but not as well as the Z5.

Performance review (phonearena.com)

Likewise the Z5 "should" perform better on battery life with the screen needing less power, but with a smaller capacity as a starting point.

Battery life comparison (phonearena.com)

However, with both Samsung and LG due to reveal new devices soon (S7 and G5) it seems prudent to wait and see what happens.

If nothing else then the prices for all should drop soon after the new models are announced!

Edited to add - or you could opt for a Sony Xperia Z5 Premium if you really want to stand out!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 13 of 54

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23077 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

You're never going to know if a phone suits you until you use it, and most places, not even CPW, I don't believe, have working models. You can go in and be tactile with a phone you're interested in. The problem is they're all tethered for security, so you can't get a true feel. That's about it, but I think it's worthwhile doing that if you can.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 54

MI5
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Toby could always enroll for "Try the Tech"
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 54

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@MI5 What's a 'samsung skinned version'? Sounds like something stripped right back? Smiley Embarassed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 54

MI5
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Every manufacturer "skins" vanilla Android (Google's version) with their own style and mods.
Samsung's is TouchWiz which has vastly improved over the last couple of years.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 54

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23077 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3676 Solutions

Just means what Samsung overlays on Android @Cleoriff to make it their own.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 18 of 54

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Another interesting fact stored. Many thanks wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 54