Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What good is a sim pin or PUK code?

AGP
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I don’t know why it’s even worth locking a sim and requiring a PUK code when anyone can simply input the phone number to the O2 website to retrieve it.

Surely the whole point of locking a sim is to prevent “baddies” from using it. Giving the PUK code so freely negates any point of having a sim pin at all.

Wouldn’t it be best to be required to verify ownership of one’s account in order to retrieve the PUK? I’m sure this used to be the case a great many moons ago.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AGP 

All of the above would become impossible when you report your phone lost or stolen.

Guide: Lost or Stolen O2 Device? - How to Report it 

Once you have done that the network would block the IMEI and account. The phone would then become as useless as a brick.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 5

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

Assuming the baddies know the phone number of the SIM they've just found or stolen......

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Indeed. Though they could always come on here and have a look at @pgn's guide rofl

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 143422 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Hmmm.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5