Did you mean: 

What do you look for in a new phone?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

Screenshot 2019-02-19 at 12.21.55.pngWhen it comes to chosing our trusted tech companion, we all have different priorities in mind. The most tech savy of us will look at specific specs, while others might have in mind a special need they have, or a more aesthetic focus.

• What are the most important specs for you ? Camera performance, specific functionalities, display, operating system, memory, etc.
  • Do you have special requirements in mind? Hard of hearing, vision challenges, a specific purpose you have in mind for this phone, etc.
  • What makes a phone standout from a design point of view? A thin body, specific colours or lack of, the home button/other buttons locations, etc.
  • Are there any features or design quirks that would put you off getting a particular handset? The headphone Jack missing, some colours, etc.

We'd love to hear more about what you look for in a phone, what made you chose the one you currently use or would make you pick a new model! It'd also be great to hear if you have recommendations on the best models in your opinion for any of the criteria and scenarios I listed above, or others you might think of. This could help some members looking for a new device but not sure where to start. wink

Looking forward to your comments!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

I look for a big screen size and the screen also needs to be super bright! sun sun For me everything needs to be bright as I feel I don't see well otherwise... I also want a decent camera that makes it easy to take good quality photos even in low light. Not darkness, but in kind of "evening in the living room" type of light, without the photo being grainy. I don't often use headphones, but I do sometimes miss the headphone jack. Would the phone be thicker if they had included it in? Or what is the reason that manufacturers are beginning to get rid of it, does anyone know? 

Before I buy a phone I'd also like to see reviews of the speaker sound quality to know it's good. slight_smile

Message 11 of 21

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I'm the same re brightness @Marjo

I've turned off auto brightness and have it as bright as it will go...wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 21

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Me too! I realised it uses the battery on my phone much quicker though, so I've started putting in on lower brightness during the day when I'm at work and not using the phone that much, then turning it brighter again when I go home. So far so good. slight_smile

Message 13 of 21

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Screen size and resolution.
Headphone jack (listen to lots of podcasts in my car and don't have bluetooth audio).
Decent camera for a point and shoot person.
Enough built in storage and/or SD card slot.
Not precious about manufacturer - had Sony, Samsung and LG in the past. So long as it is Android and not ridiculously priced...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 14 of 21

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Same here, never use auto brightness, it's just not bright enough for me and how I use my phone.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 15 of 21

Projectionist
  • 275 Posts
  • 18 Topics
  • 8 Solutions

Battery life, and replaceability

Sensible screen size - 4 to 5 inches

Notification LED

Hotspot

Price - no more than £100 (ish)

Definitely not Apple product minusremote

Using Pixel 4 ( O2 + 1pMobile) , Samsung E1182 ( geosim + dtac)
Message 16 of 21

pip1
Level 1: Joiner
  • 12 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I prefer a medium screen as it fits in hand better than those big screens do, I need the phone to be a comfortable hold or I find I end up dropping it, next would be memory, I like to take photos and listen to music so would need good memory and probably good battery usage, Bluetooth and NFC a must, I also like colour and shape as that for some strange reason is what helps me decide, I got to like the look of the phone
Currently got a Sony Xperia xa1e had Samsung, I'm quite impressed with the hauwei P20 for my next upgrade, had good review about them, anyone got one that could tell me the negs and pros?
Message 17 of 21

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Very interesting to see all the different criteria and priorities, thanks everyone for your replies so far! nerd

@pip1 One of our members, @welshsteve76, has reviewed the Huawei P20 Pro here, which you might find useful. Other customers have also shared their pros and cons on the O2 Shop pages for each model, so for example you can have a look here for some insights on the Huawei P20. Hope this helps!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 18 of 21

pip1
  • 12 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you emilie, iv checked the reviews out, the phone sounds great, I just need to find a monthly plan now
Message 19 of 21

pip1
  • 12 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you emilie, iv checked the reviews out, the phone sounds great, I just need to find a monthly plan now. 😊
Message 20 of 21