Did you mean: 

What do you look for in a new phone?

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

Screenshot 2019-02-19 at 12.21.55.pngWhen it comes to chosing our trusted tech companion, we all have different priorities in mind. The most tech savy of us will look at specific specs, while others might have in mind a special need they have, or a more aesthetic focus.

• What are the most important specs for you ? Camera performance, specific functionalities, display, operating system, memory, etc.
  • Do you have special requirements in mind? Hard of hearing, vision challenges, a specific purpose you have in mind for this phone, etc.
  • What makes a phone standout from a design point of view? A thin body, specific colours or lack of, the home button/other buttons locations, etc.
  • Are there any features or design quirks that would put you off getting a particular handset? The headphone Jack missing, some colours, etc.

We'd love to hear more about what you look for in a phone, what made you chose the one you currently use or would make you pick a new model! It'd also be great to hear if you have recommendations on the best models in your opinion for any of the criteria and scenarios I listed above, or others you might think of. This could help some members looking for a new device but not sure where to start. wink

Looking forward to your comments!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@EmilieT

The first thing I look for now is screen size. As I get older, I don't want to be squinting or struggling with a small screen.

Not being adventurous with new tech, I prefer to stay with the make I've always used ie Samsung.

I know the system and how things work. I'm not interested enough to look for new 'more challenging' models.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 21

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

That's a good one @Cleoriff, thanks for sharing! smiling

Screen size is always tricky, some people like you want a large phone either because it's either to read on it or because they want to use it for streaming or games, while I personally am very clumsy and my main concern for the device's size is that it needs to fit safely in my end to avoid accidents.

I remember your loyalty to Saumsung devices indeed - design-wise is there anything you watch out for in the Samsung models? Or anything that could potentially put you off you think? 

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!

signature

Message 3 of 21

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Camera.
Message 4 of 21

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions
Really @viridis? I'd have never known.😋

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 21

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Camera.

@viridis 

Do you look at the number of cameras, the MegaPixels, the zoom, flash, or something else?

I imagine you take all of those criteria into consideration, and not knowing an awful lot about cameras I'd love to know which specific camera features you find most important, and what makes a good phone camera for you. slight_smile

signature

Message 6 of 21

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Like @Cleoriff screen size is very important to me as I stream, play games and do online shopping on my phone.

As I listen to music, often late at night, the headphone jack is also important.

As my signature states I love Samsung. I've had 3 Samsung phones, Galaxy  S3, Note 4 and Galaxy S8+ that have all served me well. So am looking to the next Galaxy for my new phone. Hoping that's what Samsung will be unveiling tomorrow night.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 7 of 21

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
@EmilieT
Lots of variables, lens quality, sensor size, pixel size, image processing unit, unique features, all these different bits add up to a whole package.
Primarily I use Sony, we all know that, I could've answered this thread with " I look for a Sony logo" but that's only because I firmly believe they offer more imaging innovation than ANY other... Because all the others use Sony too. This year you'll see more features from last year's Sony on other handsets under the lies of "we've done this" no you didn't, you just bought Sony's latest IMX sensor.
Message 8 of 21

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions

Buttons. Lots of proper buttons and a power switch because I have no time to work out special combo moves. Followed by screen size (same reasons as Cleoriff & Glory1) and battery. Not that it bothers me regularly charging but sometimes you just need a brick sized battery. Saying that, brick sized phones built as a brick because thats a proper phone smile

Will avoid everything with the stupid notched screen and jack-less phones (unlikely for that so an adapter will suffice).

Message 9 of 21

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35210 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Something a bit better than my last one... speed, battery time, quality, capacity. And an o/s with a lively ecosystem... And the lowest up-front cost on a renewal deal.
Message 10 of 21