cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcoming New Members

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the Community "home page" there is a wee section entitled "Please welcome our newest community members: "   and that is indeed a nice thought and a nice thing to do.  However, when I clicked on some of the names I noted that quite a few have not yet actually posted anything so it would seem the only way to welcome them would be to send a PM.  As new members they might not even be aware of the PM feature. 

I am assuming the "Please welcome ....." data is auto-generated - and if that is the case is it a useful function?  Would it not be more realistic and more natural to welcome a new member when they post their first message?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
In my experience on forums, lots of members are 'generated' and are used to up the member count. so they're never going to post.

Nothing against O2 doing this if they do as it's common place.
Message 2 of 16

gemz4the1
Level 23: Casual Specs
  • 2478 Posts
  • 261 Topics
  • 33 Solutions
Great idea Gerry. There's no harm in making new members feel welcome. slight_smile
Message 3 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

So the question is....someone joins and doesn't post? Member or guest. Crystal ball please!

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

So the question is....someone joins and doesn't post? Member or guest. Crystal ball please!

As usual it would seem that I have not explained the issue properly.  So let me try to clarify - the Community Home Page seems to exhort existing Members to take some action - "Please welcome  our newest members.....".  I tried to point that several of the Members listed had not yet posted messages (if the data provided is reliable) so how then are we expected to welcome them.

Perhaps the matter could be satisfactorily dealt with by amending the wording to something like "The following customers have joined the Community."     The matter of a welcome could then be left to such time as a new member posts a message and replies are given.   Some members are very good at spotting new names and realising that a new member has joined in.

Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is the welcome thread for this so really that's that
Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Or if there's a particular member you wish to welcome then you can send them a welcoming pm
Message 7 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

I typically wait until a new member has created their 1st post, and then Welcome them to the Community.
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi @Anonymous

I typically wait until a new member has created their 1st post, and then Welcome them to the Community.

As ever @Anonymous you are on the ball.   All it would take is a small amendment to the silly wording  on the Community Home Page - Delete the words "Please welcome" and substitute " Welcome to" (our newest Community members:) 

Message 9 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Like @Anonymous I would wait for the first post / question before saying hello.
Message 10 of 16