cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Calls on O2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, so I have a postpay contract with O2 and from what I can see on the website video call minutes are included, and I have 3G coverage where I live... HOWEVER I renewed my contract and got the nokia N95. But I later decided I wanted a Samsung Omnia, so I bought one from a company not affliated with O2... so O2 don't yet support this phone, fair enough, but I've been trying to work out how on earth I can make video calls from it - quite simple, on the screen that comes up for each contact there's 5 buttons, 4 for their various home/mobile/office/email contacts and then one for video calling that person. This button is always blanked out. Why?? I know there IS a 3G network where I am, everyone else can get it and use it, it switches on automatically when they make a call - so why can't I? Is it just because somehow the network can detect that it doesn't support my actual phone and so inactivated my capability to connect to the 3G network? Sometimes when I initially switch my phone on the video call button works, but obviously as soon as I go to make a video call it just stops and says it can't do it...

If anyone has any insight to why I can't make video calls from my phone I'd be most appreciative for the help.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
need to check if you have a 3g sim card. On the back of your sim card after the long numbers if it says 3g then you have got a 3g sim card, if it does not say 3g you will need your sim card replaced, go into an o2 store with some ID and ask them for a foc replacement 3g sim, they will activate it with your number, but back up your numbers on your sim before you go to the store. Try that. If you have a 3g sim, you be best calling o2 to see and double make sure they do have 3g coverage in your area.
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well my SIM card is old, I've had it a long time, so it doesn't appear to be 3G, however, I did try my friend's, which is, and she can use video calls on her phone, however her SIM card doesn't seem to work in my phone. Perhaps I shall just take it in to a shop and see what they're saying.

Thanks anyway slight_smile
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
As abz1981 said, you should check you have a 3G SIM card, and that you are within 3G coverage. Your phone should have an indicator to show whether the signal you are receiving it 3G or GSM.

If you get a 3G SIM card and you are within 3G coverage, you should see the Video Call option light up slight_smile
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
I went and got a 3G sim card, worked out how to change the band the phone works on, and now it seems to work, so thanks a million for your help slight_smile
Message 5 of 5