Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Discussions and Feedback

Highlighted
Anonymous

Unlocking Galaxy S4

Hello,

I have a Galaxy S4 on contact which is about to end. I want to unlock it and asked o2 to do this a few weeks back and hadn't heard anything. Tonight I used live chat to ask what was happening and was told I should have had an email explaining that as the phone was bought through phones4u, O2 couldn't unlock the phone. I was told I would need to get in contact with phones4u but as they have gone out of business. I dont know how I can be expected to do that!

Any help and advice appreciated.

Gavin

Highlighted
Topics: 716

Re: Unlocking Galaxy S4

[ Edited ]

Hi @Anonymous Have you tried this route?

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-an-o2-mobile-to-use-on-a-different-network#qs

https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%20Form

If honest I wouldn't use live chat again. If they are unaware phones4u have gone out of business they wont be any help at all Smiley Sad

*The Game Is On*

Most-Helpful-MemberFriendliest-MemberMost-Useful-GuideBest-Feedbacker
Highlighted
Anonymous

Thanks!

I had heard about the form but kind of thought it wasn't worth the bother but I will give it a shot and see what happens

Thanks

Highlighted
Anonymous

I thought unlocking was to do with the network not the retailer
Highlighted
Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous,

I thought that as well and that once the contract was over the phone was mine and I could move network if i wanted..
Highlighted

If it has been used on the O2 network and is locked to it they have to allow the unlock...This is why I suggested ignoring Live Chat info about going back to Phones4U...

*The Game Is On*

Highlighted

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi @Anonymous,

I thought that as well and that once the contract was over the phone was mine and I could move network if i wanted..

You can... which is why they can't refuse the unlock request in your situation Smiley Wink

*The Game Is On*

Highlighted
Topics: 545

Phones from Phones4U were never locked in the first place, same as CPW.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone 8+ (EE)
Highlighted
Topics: 80

Yeah that^^^^
It's already unlocked.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

In that case the op better try another network sim in the phone then and see if that works....I thought unlocked phones from places like CPW locked to the first sim inserted...

*The Game Is On*