cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Text Messages are NOT what they seem

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi O2,

The terms of my contract give me UNLIMITED text messages.  Imagine my surprise then, when i looked at my bill to see it is £6 higher than what it should be.

This is because:  If i add 3 recipients into a TEXT MESSAGE and send it, you define that as a PICTURE message to 3 people and charge me 3 x 33p.  Which equates to 99p for 3 TEXT MESSAGES!

As i have unlimited texts, how do you justify that?

NOT IMPRESSED!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
On an iPhone you can turn off MMS and on Android you can set the message app to warn you or you can restrict the MMS creation in the message settings.
I agree that if you are not aware that it can catch you out and time and time again we have questioned why MMS messages should be charged for, without ever receiving a viable answer.
Bottom line is that they make money for networks but there is no excuse these days.
Options such as whatsapp, viber, line, BBM, Facebook etc can be used as FREE alternatives.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 27

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Pretty much what I thought then - unofficial guide rather than company led - in other words, if people accidentally do this we can charge them!

Thanks for the heads up though, and something I won't be doing again. Next time it'll be copy and paste!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 12 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous

On a number of occasions, I have been charged for send a group text to 2 recipients AND 3 recipients.  Explain please.

^^^^^^^ You asked this. I can't explain. I don't work for O2. I am just a customer like yourself. If you want an explanation then you will have to contact customer services http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 27

gmarkj
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Never thought to look in settings, yet there it is!

Opened messaging app (stock sony one), settings and scroll down to find "Group conversation - messages will be sent to all recipients and all recipients can reply to others in the group, just like in an email. Sent as a multimedia message"

Last line is the clincher. That's one feature that's just been disabled!!

Shame there isn't much more that can be done to publicise about this "helpful" thing...

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 14 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Good news then @gmarkj You wont be caught out again...Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 27

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Why would you not look in settings tongue ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 27

gmarkj
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Should be a definite no, instead of a maybe no - helpful person on chat last week (after I noticed it) apologised and said that a block would be put on them from my account.

As MI5 mentions, photos etc are now sent through whatsapp or facebook now, or via email so no need to use it. Don't use emoticons (new fangled ones anyway, but occasionally include the old style smiley) so that's a no as well.

Message 17 of 27

gmarkj
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Probably because there is too many, and you would think (or assume/presume) that if you WANT to send an MMS you would choose to. If you are trying to send an SMS then it would go as one...

Or maybe you just don't know to look until it's too late!!

Still, next time I'll be checking straight away.

Message 18 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I never send any pictures via MMS...they are sent via Messenger ...and I have done this for the last 3 years...

My personal choice...though I know there are many other apps to use over WiFi...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 27

gmarkj
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

I think it's very devious of Facebook to force people to have 2 apps, when previously 1 did it all.

If I have to use FB messenger then I use the web, usually the mobile version. Gets the job done.

Plus given the ridiculous size of the regular app (circa 250Mb!!!) I don't want another one!!

Message 20 of 27