cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Text Messages are NOT what they seem

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi O2,

The terms of my contract give me UNLIMITED text messages.  Imagine my surprise then, when i looked at my bill to see it is £6 higher than what it should be.

This is because:  If i add 3 recipients into a TEXT MESSAGE and send it, you define that as a PICTURE message to 3 people and charge me 3 x 33p.  Which equates to 99p for 3 TEXT MESSAGES!

As i have unlimited texts, how do you justify that?

NOT IMPRESSED!

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:

I think it's very devious of Facebook to force people to have 2 apps, when previously 1 did it all.

If I have to use FB messenger then I use the web, usually the mobile version. Gets the job done.

Plus given the ridiculous size of the regular app (circa 250Mb!!!) I don't want another one!!

Must admit..I do mine via PC...usually

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 27

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

I can honestly say in all the years with O2 I have never been caught out with extra charges. Maybe it's just me but I set the phone up so it tells me exactly what I need to know.

Message 22 of 27

Fellwalker
Level 9: Fired up
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Options such as whatsapp, viber, line, BBM, Facebook etc can be used as FREE alternatives.

To an extent - they use either your mobile data or your internet data, so they don't have to charge for the transmission. So there is a cost to using those, which is hidden rather than charged for individually.  Also, Whatsapp does charge after the first year.

Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 23 of 27

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Whatsapp is free on iOS for ever and they all can be used on WiFi too (usually free in bars, shops, restaurants etc) if you don't have a data allowance.
The pertinent point is that a picture sent over Whatsapp is FREE compared to 40p a time for each MMS.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 24 of 27

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

It's strange....I've had WhatsApp for 3 years now and never paid a subscription......

Message 25 of 27

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
If you keep ignoring the messages that you need to pay because the 12 months is up they give up chasing you for money after a while and you don't have to pay slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 26 of 27

Fellwalker
Level 9: Fired up
  • 245 Posts
  • 20 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Astounding
Note 9. O2 since 2007.
Message 27 of 27