cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlimited Text Messages are NOT what they seem

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi O2,

The terms of my contract give me UNLIMITED text messages.  Imagine my surprise then, when i looked at my bill to see it is £6 higher than what it should be.

This is because:  If i add 3 recipients into a TEXT MESSAGE and send it, you define that as a PICTURE message to 3 people and charge me 3 x 33p.  Which equates to 99p for 3 TEXT MESSAGES!

As i have unlimited texts, how do you justify that?

NOT IMPRESSED!

Message 1 of 27
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Yes...if you send group messages (usually up to 5 or more people)... or sms which include emoticons or emojis these will convert to MMS. If you send a text with more than 480 characters... this will also convert to MMS

Have a look at this guide here

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

Other networks have similar restrictions so moving wont help you....As long as you keep to the guidelines set down within the link I have included, you wont be charged

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Yes...if you send group messages (usually up to 5 or more people)... or sms which include emoticons or emojis these will convert to MMS. If you send a text with more than 480 characters... this will also convert to MMS

Have a look at this guide here

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-Services/Accidental-MMS-Sending-and-How-to-Avoid-it/td-p/689503

Other networks have similar restrictions so moving wont help you....As long as you keep to the guidelines set down within the link I have included, you wont be charged

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 27

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Must admit I have fallen foul of this myself - only sent a 20 word text to 2 people yet came up as an MMS.

It might help if there was some sort of warning that came up. If you are not aware that this can and does happen then it could be a bit of a surprise.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 3 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

"usually up to 5 or more people"

Text message - NO Emoticons or Emojis! Normal small text not an 'Essay'.  Two questions:  How do you explain being charged for sending to 2 or 3 recipients?

Usually isn't good enough.  Is it 5 or more, or more than 1?

Message 4 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree!  In 2 months i have been charged £12 more than i expected.  Imagine if this happened to 1 million people a MONTH! - Which it probably does.

Message 5 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

The guide I linked to states

"Group Messages

Another popular way of sending an MMS unintentionally is by sending a group message.

O2 recommends that you send group texts in batches of five recipients to prevent this."

Does your phone warn your texts are being converted to MMS? I know some do....

I don't make the rules... I was just trying to explain the reason this happens. I have also checked the EE website. Same rules apply..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Group Messages

Another popular way of sending an MMS unintentionally is by sending a group message.

O2 recommends that you send group texts in baches of five recipients to prevent this.

Above is an extract from the guide via the link you included.

On a number of occasions, I have been charged for send a group text to 2 recipients AND 3 recipients.  Explain please.

Message 7 of 27

gmarkj
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Cleo,
Not disagreeing about what the guide states, but the fact it happens with no warning (on my phone at least) is annoying.

I realise that the usual caveat emptor warning applies, but for most if it can happen there should be some sort of warning.

There is nothing on the o2 website (just searched for sms convert to mms) so unless you a)know about and b)use the community you probably won't find out about it until too late.

With regard to EE, is the info on their web or some sort of customer support forum?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 8 of 27

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Hi @gmarkj I just googled it and found this for the EEcommunity

http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/My-Bill/SMS-Character-Limit/td-p/88806

I have had Motorola and Samsung phones in the past and have always been warned. I have also been caught out ...years ago when I didn't understand what 'converting to MMS' meant Smiley Embarassed

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 27

gmarkj
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

Could be down to handset (as mentioned, happened to me on a Sony Xperia Z1), could be that the process has changed (from an official o2 point of view) and as this is a customer forum we are not aware and so the guide posted is no longer correct.

Could be any number of things.  Best bet is to contact CS (either 202, in store or on live chat) to discuss with someone that can 1)help resolve the problem, 2)put a block on your account so it doesn't happen again and 3) possibly issue a refund - no guarantees on that last one though!

Message 10 of 27