Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected charge from O2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

Where do I start?
We've seen a transaction we don't recognise on my wife's Barclaycard.
It's a £169.00 charge from O2.

We do have O2 Broadband and my wife has an O2 contract phone, but this is neither charge -- both are paid by Direct Debit and they are marked differently. I've checked the billing -- nothing really outstanding, just normal monthly bills below £30 for phone and a tenner for broadband.

Here's Details:
02 (uk( Ltd
Retailer number: 4840575
Business type: Telecommunication Service
Town: Autopayments
Payment method: Telephone/Mail Order
PIN Used: No
Cardholder: 9999

Note the bold items; my wife never shops over the phone or by mail order. We shop online and we meticulously trace our expenses.

Before disputing this transaction with Barclaycard, I want to try & find out what in the Blue Sky had been bought on that card?

My question is now:

Where do I call to find out what are the details of that order? I've rummaged through O2 site and don't seem to find out where to call for such general queries.

Thank you for reading this.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
It looks like someone has got hold of your details and used them. The correct way to solve the problem is to report the transaction to the bank. They will investigate and take the appropriate action, involving the police if necessary. You will not likely ever find out what was ordered or who by as this may prejudice any investigation. (unless it was you or your wife)
From your point of view, you need to take measures to ensure your card details are safe, particularly look at your PC security and to monitor your credit record. Your bank will advise you what to do.
Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you very much for your answer!

We meticulously shred every piece of potentially sensitive information, and both me & my wife know better not to tell anyone her card details or PINs or any security details.

However, God knows, may be somebody could write down details in a dodgy shop; or somebody could photocopy it in the same dodgy shop; so your advice sounds very relevant.

Therefore we now have just rung Barclaycard as suggested and reported a potential fraud transaction to them, thus triggering an investigation. It really sounds like fraud: source "Telephone/Mail Order" whilst we never shop over the phone; O2 obviously means O2 Shop here... and the last thing we've bought there was her contract and FREE phone...

They have raised the flag on this card now, and are issuing a brand new card for her, which will arrive in a few days.

Anyway now we'll wait & see where it brings us. Hopefully monies will be recovered (this is a credit card! why shouldn't they). We've got better things to do with hundred and sixty nine quid.

Thank you prking again for straight to the point advice!
Message 3 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Contacted O2 Customer Service.
They confirmed that no, there haven't been any outstanding charges on any of our accounts: neither Broadband nor Pay Monthly.

They ask for GED Numbers. These are not present in standard web statement.

We might have an impostor here.
To be continued... :mansurprised:
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
As I said, someone has got hold of your details. Please leave the investigation to the bank, they are better equipped and more likely to obtain a result. Indeed, any meddling can compromise the outcome.
It is more important that you ascertain how the details were obtained. Your first port of call should be to check your PC. Then check with credit reference agencies to make sure there aren't any other suprises coming.
Message 5 of 7

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
This happened to me some years ago, 3 transactions for nearly £4,000.00 on my credit card to 3 well known companies.

I simply had to sign a letter to say I had not made these purchases and the credit card company sorted it out within a week.

I have no idea how it was done and it's really of no interest to me.

The card had never left my sight at any time.

In your case O2 just happen to be the company where the money was spent, they can't help you.

Best left to Barclaycard to sort it out.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
As a precaution I suggest you read the information below and decide if it's possibly your pc that's infected with a back door trojan etc.

Do a full system scan with your antivirus programme, as well as a good antispyware programme. I recommend the use of Malwarebytes

I also suggest you run a good rootkit scanner such as Rootkit Buster

I'm not saying this is the only possibility, but it is one that I have come across all too often.

The two links below are well worth a read.

When should I re-format? How should I reinstall? Security - dslreports.com

How to report ID theft, fraud, drive-by installs, hijacking and malware? Security - dslreports.com
Message 7 of 7