cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unacceptable Level of Service has left me without a blackber

Anonymous
Not applicable
I phoned your O2 customer services, regarding issues with my Blackberry Pearl 8110. The issue with my phone was that, it had started switching itself off and on intermittently. After searching the blackberry support website site, it stated that to resolve this issue I had to re-install the software, which I then downloaded from the O2 website. After doing this my phone did start working for a few days, but again started intermittently switching itself off, it was at this point I called your O2 Customer Services on Monday 1st February. This resulted in sending my phone to your repair centre.

I returned home one week later to find my phone had been sent back, stating due to condensation it could not be fixed under warranty. Within the letter was no contact number, but directions to your website. Again I contacted O2 customer services, where I was then transferred to the repair centre, who stated that the phone was irreparable (which was not stated in the letter) due to the condensation/water damage. Aren’t mobile phones supposed to be used inside and outside (obviously not in the rain!), and therefore condensation shouldn’t happen? Also I’m a 28 year old female who lives alone, the phone is not water damaged – and I am not responsible for the issue with the phone, as suggested by your repair centre. I then asked to be passed back to customer services in order to discuss getting a replacement.

On speaking to your customer services, I asked if my upgrade could be brought forward – in which I was told I would have to pay the outstanding balance of my contract (approx £250) and could only upgrade to an iphone, if i wanted an iphone i would have bought an iphone. I then asked if I could buy a blackberry (either a pink pearl 8110 or a purple curve 8520) – in which I was told O2 don’t provide that services and to go to the Carphone Warehouse!

I have been a customer with O2 for approximately 10 years, in which I have referred a number of family, friends & colleagues to O2 due to the high level of service I have received, but I find this situation unacceptable. Given the current issue I’m experiencing I will not be referring anyone again.

The attempts to resolve the problem have not been satisfactory and O2 claim that there is nothing more you can do to help me. I will consider cancelling my contract (as I have a high tariff contract with no phone) and look at taking my business elsewhere, which in the current market there are better deals to be had with O2s competitors.

I've also as O2 to provide me with the evidence that shows my phone is water damaged/condensation - as according to this website my phone is perfectly dry and never been wet!
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Got_Your_BlackBerry_Wet%3F
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
First of all you must realise that this is a customer forum. It isn't a way for you to contact O2, but to discuss with us other customers. If you are unhappy then you should use the Complaints Review Service as detailed in your terms and conditions.
I believe that the repair company do not get paid if the handset is not repairable, so it isn't in their interest to make a false claim.
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
Initially, note that this forum is customer to customer, O2 will not be seeing your post here.

Just a few things...

I've also as O2 to provide me with the evidence that shows my phone is water damaged/condensation - as according to this website my phone is perfectly dry and never been wet!

The website itself does specifically state that the water indicators are only useful at determining whether a device has gotten *wet*, ie dunked in water, they will usually not pick up high levels of condensation, which can still damage/break the phone. I quote:
"NOTE: a device that has gotten simply "moist", say in a steamy or highly humid environment may never show a red or pink sticker, but it will remain white while the keys or the trackball/trackpad of the device will cease working. So, the liquid damage indicator is only of importance to determine if the device has been complete dunked, submerged, rained upon, or such severe wetness".

Also I’m a 28 year old female who lives alone, the phone is not water damaged

I cannot really see the correlation between you being 28, female, living alone, and the phone never having suffered high condensation and breaking as a result. Your personal circumstances are irrelevant with regard to the phone getting damaged.

Ultimately, if O2's repair techs say the phone's been damaged by condensation, then it's probably been damaged by condensation through being kept/used in inappropriate environmental conditions - If your phone's problem is being caused by water damage that's something pretty easy and conclusive for a technician to see. Your best bet would be to contact your home contents insurer assuming you have any, and hope that you took out a policy which provides you with personal possessions cover - If so, you can get the phone replaced by them.

I really cannot see any bad service on O2's part here, assuming the service technician who looked at your phone isn't outright lying about the cause of it's damage, which they have no real reason to do. If the phone was damaged by condensation through inappropriate use/storage, O2 have no obligation to repair the phone free (thats what insurance is for) or offer you a very early upgrade.
Message 3 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
well why should i have to be responsible for condensation in which i have no control over - as i did not store my phone or use it in inadaquate conditions - so just because the O2 engineer is not lying, must mean i am?? which i'm not!

i work with Server/Mobile technologies/Network hardware on a daily basis i know how it works. if it was my fault i would be holding my hands up and going through my contents insurance, but its the principle of the situation.

Also i didn't ask for it for free, i asked it i could upgrade early - but couldn't get a blackberry only an iphone & i also asked to buy one, which they don't do!
Message 4 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
well why should i have to be responsible for condensation in which i have no control over - as i did not store my phone or use it in inadaquate conditions - so just because the O2 engineer is not lying, must mean i am?? which i'm not!

No-one has said you were lying, its wrong of you to put words into people's mouths and embellish things like that.

Also i didn't ask for it for free, i asked it i could upgrade early - but couldn't get a blackberry only an iphone & i also asked to buy one, which they don't do!

The handset is supplied independently of the contract. They don't sell SIM free phones, why would you expect them too?
Message 5 of 14

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions
You could try one of the independent repairers such as:

http://www.blackberryrepaircentre.com/

I have no experience but it may help you out.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Write to them threatening small claims court action under the Sale of Goods act for the cost of a replacement phone, as they have failed to provide you with a product that is 'fit for purpose'. Provide evidence that it was not water damaged (i.e. photos of the indicators).

O2 seem to default to 'water damage' too often. Every few weeks there is someone posting here with exactly the same issue that you are having.
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Write to them threatening small claims court action under the Sale of Goods act for the cost of a replacement phone, as they have failed to provide you with a product that is 'fit for purpose'. Provide evidence that it was not water damaged (i.e. photos of the indicators).
O2 seem to default to 'water damage' too often. Every few weeks there is someone posting here with exactly the same issue that you are having.

I have a Blackberry 8900 and the trackball stopped working for no reason, I sent it back as got told it was water damaged and to claim on my insurance, which I did although I know my phone had been no where near water.

Now my husband who has the same phone is having the exact same problems and no doubt if I send it back we will be told the same story. Semms from experience that whenever there is a trackball problem with that make of phone it's always water damage 😐
Message 8 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
this is the exact situation that I am involved with at the moment, as the onlyuser of the phone i can categorically state its not water damaged and am totally baffled as to why they are saying this
Message 9 of 14

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions
see this post viewtopic.php?t=36719
iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 10 of 14