Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA ROAMING NIGHTMARE on 02

JTOM
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I been a loyal customer for o2 for over 10years, and I always loved how 02 treats their customers. Eventough they have mediocare 4G speeds in london, I was happy with what it provides. For work reasons , I recently upgraded my o2 contract to include US / EU roaming , which is now pretty standard on every other network.
The promise of o2 is fantastic appox 150 minutes and texts plus all the data you have for US use.
However , In reality, I only got to sense harsh reality when I got to the US ( San Francisco ) -Highly trottle data connections. I barely get 0.5Mbps if I am lucky. To understand how slow it is I will give an example - it would load certain webpages, but would not sent a whatsapp message, forget about pictures.
Speed tests on my colleague who is on 3 mobile , gets easy 20 Mbps average, and I (02) was on 0.5Mpbs.. seriously adsl speed!

So to understand what is happening I called up 02 . This is when I got surpriced. Their network GURU’s confirmed that 02 only have 3G connections with US carriers, and by the looks of it -that tooo highly throttled. Absolute nightmare to use. I have been unable to use WhatsApp or any apps which has/need internet connectivity at all ( Facebook, Instagram, whatsapp) - you name it. It was the most fustrating thing !! I had to keep missing important emails and messages, and keep hooked on to work/hotel Wifi’s , while being totally blind on the road when being a tourist !

I see loads of comments in 02 forums about similar situations with a load of people over the past year. I really feel that I have been mis-sold, and literally many of others might have been as well. This might be even worth checking with OFCOM as well for an investigation, as they have been advertised wrongly as well.

So people , if you are planning to travel US and want roaming LOOK elsewhere!!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
We usually advise customers to take a Three sim if travelling to USA.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22937 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@JTOM Best thing to do next time is to make sure your phone is unlocked and get a Pay & Go sim from AT&T or T-Mobile when you arrive in the US. Only way to ensure you'll get fast data speeds. You just can't call back to the UK with the US sim.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 3 of 5

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 9983 Posts
  • 54 Topics
  • 2981 Solutions

I would strongly advise against using 3 in the US, there speeds whilst roaming are absolutley diabolical, and worse than o2, and having used both o2. 3 and vodafone in Nevada, Hawaii, New York, Washington, NY and LAX the best network was Voda.. 

3 struggled on t-mobile

o2 on AT&T was usable 

Voda just worked at good speeds on AT&T

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The OP's colleague was getting 20mbps on Three where they were.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5