Did you mean: 

USA Connection issues

ben_keegan21
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Morning all,

Back in December I was due for a renewal on my contract that I originally had with the network EE. However upon having bad customer service in one of their shop i made the choice to move from EE to O2 and expected a similar competitive service.

I travel alot for work mostly to Europe and North America, which i explained to the sales assistant in the shop at the time of purchase, along with the fact id need to be able to use the 100gb limit that i am paying for each month to send data and recive data too and from my office in the UK and also be able to tether to my laptop.

Right now i am currently away on a work trip in the USA where i am experienceing REALLY poor connection speeds. Its a place that i have been too before and i have not had a problem with the previous network provider. Along with other places where you think service would be just as good as at home. i.e New York, Washington, Philidelphia etc etc

It seems even basic tasks such as opening and using Messenger, WhatsApp and even my email is beyond the service I am currently getting from O2. Often resulting in the message 'Waiting to reconnect' appearing at the top of the apps. 

I have spoke to O2 on the phone and yet had no resolve. I have even had a member of the technical team call me back to check and see how they are getting on. Howver the issue still exsists.

So for through this escapade O2 on the phone have been somewhat unintrested in me not being able to use my phone as id expect to be able to considering its 2019. 

Anyone able to shed some light on what i can do to try and resolve the issues i am currently facing as i am currently at my whits end. 

1, unable to perform the most basic of app tasks.

2, unable to listen to apple music. 

3, unable to hotspot phone to mac

4, unable to make skype/FaceTime calls to ANYONE.

Many kind regards

Ben

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The only way to fix this is to use a local SIM or WiFi.
O2 heavily throttle data outside of the EU to the point where it is unusable.
No one gets anything other than dial up speeds and there are many threads on here about it, sorry.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@ben_keegan21 

It's true to say that every OTHER UK network gets better speeds than O2 in the US.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it's safe to say you would have been better off staying with EE.

As you have said, you had no problem with them data wise.

Not what you want to hear and the only way round it is to follow the advice above slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 5

ben_keegan21
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks alot guys,

I guess im going to have to take this argument further with customer services with both parties as now it seems i have a paperweight thats costing me upwards of 50+GBP a month. 

Anyone know why O2 do this? it seems pretty backwards for the technology of today?

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Cost.
Limiting data throughput reduces to cost to O2.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5