Did you mean: 

Tips to keep your device in good health

EmilieT
Former Staff
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Hi everyone, 

Last year, we posted some ideas on how to Spring clean your smartphone, and got a lot of additional useful info from your own experiences in the discussion. We'd now like to talk, more broadly, about how to keep your device in good health!

The top tips O2 Gurus shared in the video above are:

• Make sure your phone can bounce back after bumps and thumps with a case and screen protector.
  • Avoid moisture indoors and out, because warranties don't cover water damage, keep your phone dry💧
  • Fix bugs and help keep your phone secure, by installing updates as soon as they land.
  • Back up regularly: don't lose priceless pics, must-keep messages and your special numbers.
  • Phones and batteries don't like it too hot, or too chilly: avoid extreme temperatures ❄️🔥
  • Always use quality chargers, the one that came with your phone is best.
  • Everyone needs a break every now and then: a weekly restart will refresh your phone settings and memory.
  • We all need a little room to breathe slight_smile Keeping storage free helps your phone perform better.
  • Battery apps may sound great, but installing them can slow your phone down - don't use them. 
  • Still need help? Make an appointment with one of our gurus at your local O2 Store!

Are they any other tips you guys can think of to keep a device in good health?

Let us know in the comments!

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Battery apps and Cleaner /security apps are totally unnecessary and apart from taking up storage space, are no better than the phone's own operating system. 

Message 11 of 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't sideload apk files on Android (on a device you rely on anyway)

It's always good to temporarily install a free AV you trust like Avast, AVG or Sophos and just let it run a quick scan to check all is well.

Message 12 of 35

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Well I must have been lucky with my S10+, because it included a new charger; unless all this changed after I received my phone!?

I did have another charger, if pushed but prefer to use the charger that comes with a new phone; if a charger comes with the phone, of course.

I also make sure I have a case to put my phone in; wallet type to protect the screen as well as the back in case I drop it, which I do on occasion.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 13 of 35

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10767 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions
I believe you should have the matching provided charger I'm quite sure the manufacturers would recommend and require the use of their charger. I wouldn't be surprised if the using another charger may void warranty.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 14 of 35

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10767 Posts
  • 120 Topics
  • 347 Solutions

Hi @EmilieT
Thanks for the tips. I always buy a full cover for my phones, certainly helps to keep them safer.

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 15 of 35

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

https://www.o2.co.uk/thinkbig/planet/sustainable-products-and-services/charger-out-of-the-box

Now that standardised chargers are available on the market, it’s likely that people will have compatible chargers at home already. OMG, just WOW!!!

Mobile phones will come with a micro-USB to USB charging cable, which can be used for charging from a computer or any USB compatible charger. And if customers find that they really do need a charger, we’ll be able to provide them with one at a discounted price. Really?

With regards to seals being unbroken on boxes, are we to assume that O2 ask the manufacturers to remove the chargers or is it all really just one enormous scam....

Message 16 of 35

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

I say scam @jonsie. It's a way for O2 to get you to buy a charger.

Hope they change their policy before I upgrade again. As I mentioned I got a charger with my phone. And everybody should, I don't care how many chargers they may have at home. Just because you have a spare doesn't mean it will be compatible with your new phone. And, if it's not what then. You can't charge your phone until you buy one from O2, or worse a cheap one that's dangerous. 

Not happy about this new policy which is just a way for O2 to make more money, in my opinion, and nothing to do with going green!

Message 17 of 35

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

I suspect the top end phones will always have a charger in the box but I'm shocked (no pun inntended) that a device which O2 retail at £520 comes without. What price safety eh?

Message 18 of 35

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

All phones should have a charger  regardless of whether they're top end or middle or low end. All phones. If you have to buy a charger, what price safety indeed.

Message 19 of 35

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

If phones are sold without chargers 'to keep the planet green' then a lot of people will end up buying the wrong charger, or a cheap substitute charger from Ebay.

That's when safety is compromised.

We've actually spoken about this for a few years now, so it's nothing new for O2.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 35