on by default.. typical

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

dgilbert2
Level 13: Prompter
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

Thanks for sharing @Anonymous at least its possible to turn off the throttling in the settings. Apple do themselves no favours though with this stuff!

Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if your battery doesn’t appear to be flagging, Is it worth getting a replacement while it’s free? (I’m presuming the replacements are new and not reconditioned)

Message 3 of 16

dgilbert2
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

Umm, not sure, if it ain't broke don't fix it? These phones are so delicate even if "Apple" changes the battery, you may incur more problems. Personally I would leave alone unless the battery capacity really is reduced.

Message 4 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
As I understand it, you are only eligible for the replacement programme after a confirmed diagnostic check by Apple.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 16

dgilbert2
  • 936 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 6 Solutions

That does make sense, Apple will want some kind of verification before committing to a cost.

Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is of course the underlying chemistry, as a lot of people absolutely hammer their phones they can use up the charge cycles quickly.

I'm not particularly a fan of Apple but if they didn't do something to try to manage performance degradation they'd probably have people complain about battery capacity becoming worse or as they say in some cases the phone shutting down and there will be people that can't or don't want to go into an Apple store and cannot be sepearated from their phone for more than 30 seconds (I work with a couple of people like that)

Message 7 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122814 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Thanks for posting @Anonymous.

I have never been an Apple fan so this doesn't affect me at all, though it made interesting reading/viewing.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 16

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Like @Cleoriff I'm not an Apple fan. They couldn't pay me to have one of their phones. So I won't be affected by this, but thanks for the information @Anonymous.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 9 of 16

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
I agree that something should be done.
However, that should be as an option that is available to the user and not an enforced thing from the manufacturer.
This was the main problem that Apple faced - they did it without telling anyone that it was a possible issue and they were trying to do something to mitigate it.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 10 of 16