cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three takeover o2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Does anyone have any more news on the story that broke over the weekend that Three have agreed a takeover of o2 and are just waiting on regulatory approval

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its been all over the press/web this morning - 3 have bought the Irish (ROI) Arm of O2 only.

This is another case off offloading to get cash, 1st UK Landlines & Broadband sold off

2nd get rid of Support Centre costs by subcontracting    3rd Sell the ROI Operation

Whats next ?

Message 2 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is another case off offloading to get cash,

Whats next ?

No I think they are trying to save the company from going bust as with T-Mobile/Orange joining forces to create EE, they are finding it harder to compete. It looks like rather than trying to merge they are slowly selling off their business.

Message 3 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

The sale of O2 Ireland to the owners of the 3 network is due to Telefonica (the owners of O2) being 52 billion euros in debt. This is due to them piling up debts during their expansion into Latin America over the past 10 years.  They have also sold Central American assets in March for $500 million and are considering the sale of their Czech business.

O2 Ireland was only generated 136 million euros in the first quarter of this year, less than any of Telefonicas other european business, so its probably a very wise sale.

O2 UK are not being sold to anyone...at the moment

Message 4 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

O2 UK are not being sold to anyone...at the moment

are you sure

1st UK Landlines & Broadband sold off

2nd get rid of Support Centre costs by subcontracting    

3rd Sell the ROI Operation

looks like a stuggling company selling assets to save itself from going bust.

if the o2 ROI sales gets approved, it places three is a very stong position to take control of o2 UK, which will be next

Message 5 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont think so.

Analysts have predicted that they may sell their Czech business, but have shyed away from a flotation for a part share of the Latin American side of the business. 

Telefonica wanted out of the Broadband business to concentrate on their Mobile business, so it was on the cards that that side would be sold to someone.

They are just cutting costs, as all companies do when they need to get rid of some of their debt. Hence the out-sourcing of the support centre.

They might do a floatation or a merger of sorts of O2 UK for a part share in the business but I dont think they'll sell ALL of O2 UK to be honest.

I dont think 3 could actually afford O2 UK...

Message 6 of 24

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

The announcement made by Telefonica Ireland is completely about their business. For more specifics, the below is a link to the press release:

http://pressoffice.telefonica.com/jsp/base.jsp?contenido=/jsp/notasdeprensa/notadetalle.jsp&id=0&ori...

If you have any more questions about their announcement, their twitter name is @O2IRL and their Community can be found here: http://community.o2online.ie

Thanks, Toby

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 7 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
i always though that o2 and Vodafone were going to jion forces to try and beat of compation from EE.
Message 8 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

No, just, no! Three were bad enough when I was with them.

If O2 turns to the dark side and joins them I will definitely be giving 30 days notice and looking elsewhere.

Message 9 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

Who mentioned Three?

Message 10 of 24