cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third party charges fraud Tap2Pay / O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have an O2 Mobile Broadband data only SIM in a router.

Today I have found that I am the victim of the outrageous third party charges scam which O2 have condoned for years...

The company Tap2Pay have made charges against my bill, which o2 have allowed without my authority.

As is the usual story, I have never knowingly or willingly requested any "services" from this company or any others. They have clearly created some fraudulent advert, link or the like which I have been forced into clicking on or done so without my knowledge due to it being designed this way. I am not a computer Newbie and I am well aware of dodgy adverts etc but the point is clear, the same people that are creating phishing emails, spam, malware and malicicious adverts are routinely exploiting the third party charges system to commit fraud.

The worst part about this is that o2 are condoning it and refuse to act in order to protect their customers.

o2 even instructed me, the victim, to make contact with the offenders by means of a Premium rate phone number so that I could be further exploited.

A quick google and search of just this forum shows that this is a MASSIVE issue and these fraudsters are raking in Millions. I would guess that o2 are silent because they are creaming off a healthy profit from it too.

I think enough is enough and so have reported it to ActionFraud and the Phone paid services authority but given the lack of action to thousands of other such complaints I don't hold out much hope and so have now opted to make contact with BBC Watchdog.

If you have been a victim or know someone that has and you are willing to speak with the BBC then please PM me and lets try and get this in the public eye!

I

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Dan6 wrote:

Hi,

I am also victim of a similar Scam. O2 simply increased the fees without further notice in order to accomodate the "engagement" that I had with the third party. 

Can you explain what you mean?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92916 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Clicking on a link in an email is always dangerous unless you can verify where it's from. Presumably you had to enter your mobile number to receive a text?

Follow the steps above and report it to the PSA. 

Message 22 of 22