Did you mean: 

The O2 guide to premium SMS numbers

Martin-O2
Former Staff
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Hey everyone, 

O2 have created a series of video guides that cover some of the issues and questions faced by their customers. We're sharing these guides on the Community so you have a visual aid to point other members too if they need information on one of these subjects. 

The below video guide provides some great information about premium SMS numbers, which include things like charity donations, voting on reality TV shows and sports results. 

We'd love to hear your input on premium SMS and any suggestions you have for avoiding a surprise when your bill arrives! 

Check out also these other video guides from O2:

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Great info @Martin-O2 I wonder if it could be added to this guide https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

as they do seem to go together? thumbsup

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 16

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35214 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions
Seconded! It should be added to the link @Cleoriff shared, great idea.
Message 3 of 16

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
I agree it fits perfectly with the guide in the link @Cleoriff has posted
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 4 of 16

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11995 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
I think the best thing o2 could do would be to advocate for a 2 stage process for signing up.
Having a single click sign you up for something that could cost upwards of £20 per month seems very worrying - I could potentially sign up whoever I liked just by entering random numbers into websites (I'm not going to, just pointing it out).
Imagine how much good will o2 could generate if they were the company pushing for the change?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 6 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Couldn't agree more @gmarkj

As you know this is something we have been requesting for ages. I just wish O2 would listen...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 16

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

I'm glad you found this content useful guys! We hope to have some similar videos on other subjects soon. 

We also intend to add this to the relevant guide. smiling 

That's a really good suggestion @gmarkj! It would save an awful lot of chasing things up for those affected.  

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 8 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Good News all round then @Martin-O2 wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 16

Payforit_Sucks
Level 17: Luminescent
  • 210 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 4 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
I think the best thing o2 could do would be to advocate for a 2 stage process for signing up.
Having a single click sign you up for something that could cost upwards of £20 per month seems very worrying - I could potentially sign up whoever I liked just by entering random numbers into websites (I'm not going to, just pointing it out).
Imagine how much good will o2 could generate if they were the company pushing for the change?

Spot on. The Payforit system, where you give permission for charges by clicking a single link is hopelessly insecure and is the cause of much consumer dissatisfaction. At present 2 factor authentication is only required for services costing more tha £4.50 per week. If two factor authentication was required for ALL subscription services, this would make it much more difficult for the system to be abused by fraudsters.

It should also be necessary to opt-in to third party billing, in the same way as for adult services.Many consumers do not want or need these services and are left unnecessarily vulnerable to fraud. I realise O2 are not alone in this respect, but they could earn brownie points by taking a lead.

Phone payment scam? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to these scams. Join our Facebook Group
Message 10 of 16