Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Discussions and Feedback

Highlighted
Community Manager

The O2 guide to premium SMS numbers

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone, 

O2 have created a series of video guides that cover some of the issues and questions faced by their customers. We're sharing these guides on the Community so you have a visual aid to point other members too if they need information on one of these subjects. 

The below video guide provides some great information about premium SMS numbers, which include things like charity donations, voting on reality TV shows and sports results. 

We'd love to hear your input on premium SMS and any suggestions you have for avoiding a surprise when your bill arrives! 

Check out also these other video guides from O2:

Check out some of the recent discussions:
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Gig tickets giveaway!! Smiley Wink Interested in any O2 Academy gig? Let us know for a chance to get free tickets!
Review of the Samsung Galaxy A50 - Read our latest device review by member Poppysmum.
Priority tickets calendar! 24-30 June - Check out which tickets are going on sale or pre-sale this week on Priority!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? Smiley Happy
signature

Topics: 662

Re: The O2 guide to premium SMS numbers

Great info @Martin-O2 I wonder if it could be added to this guide https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

as they do seem to go together? thumbsup

*The Game Is On*

Topics: 88
Ideas: 2

Seconded! It should be added to the link @Cleoriff shared, great idea.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty. Douglas Adams.
Topics: 81
Kudos: 1,069
Blog Posts: 2

I agree it fits perfectly with the guide in the link @Cleoriff has posted
Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Topics: 539

Yes no point in having to post two links....

Level 39: Midshipman

I think the best thing o2 could do would be to advocate for a 2 stage process for signing up.
Having a single click sign you up for something that could cost upwards of £20 per month seems very worrying - I could potentially sign up whoever I liked just by entering random numbers into websites (I'm not going to, just pointing it out).
Imagine how much good will o2 could generate if they were the company pushing for the change?
Now using the LG V30.

Previously: LG G4, Sony Z1, HTC Sensation XE, Samsung Omnia i900
Try the Tech Galaxy Note 4
Try the Tech Lumia 640LTE and Microsoft Band

Couldn't agree more @gmarkj

As you know this is something we have been requesting for ages. I just wish O2 would listen...Smiley Sad

*The Game Is On*

Community Manager

[ Edited ]

I'm glad you found this content useful guys! We hope to have some similar videos on other subjects soon. 

We also intend to add this to the relevant guide. smiling 

That's a really good suggestion @gmarkj! It would save an awful lot of chasing things up for those affected.  

Check out some of the recent discussions:
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Gig tickets giveaway!! Smiley Wink Interested in any O2 Academy gig? Let us know for a chance to get free tickets!
Review of the Samsung Galaxy A50 - Read our latest device review by member Poppysmum.
Priority tickets calendar! 24-30 June - Check out which tickets are going on sale or pre-sale this week on Priority!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? Smiley Happy
signature

Good News all round then @Martin-O2 wink

*The Game Is On*

Level 11: Motivator

@gmarkj wrote:
I think the best thing o2 could do would be to advocate for a 2 stage process for signing up.
Having a single click sign you up for something that could cost upwards of £20 per month seems very worrying - I could potentially sign up whoever I liked just by entering random numbers into websites (I'm not going to, just pointing it out).
Imagine how much good will o2 could generate if they were the company pushing for the change?

Spot on. The Payforit system, where you give permission for charges by clicking a single link is hopelessly insecure and is the cause of much consumer dissatisfaction. At present 2 factor authentication is only required for services costing more tha £4.50 per week. If two factor authentication was required for ALL subscription services, this would make it much more difficult for the system to be abused by fraudsters.

It should also be necessary to opt-in to third party billing, in the same way as for adult services.Many consumers do not want or need these services and are left unnecessarily vulnerable to fraud. I realise O2 are not alone in this respect, but they could earn brownie points by taking a lead.

Been scammed by 'Payforit'? Need independent advice? Payforit Faq for O2 Customers

Help put a stop to 'Payforit' scams. Respond to the Phone-paid Services Authority Consultation