Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text scam?

RJ29
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 2 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi, I received a text from someone I thought was O2, I didn’t realise at the time that it was a potential scam, on my notifications it came through as O2:UK so thought it was real, looked at my messages and this was the body of the text:

This is O2. We've noticed you're late paying another monthly Device Plan instalment of £39.12 (account number 1039118208). Before we turn off your calls and data, and add the £3.50 fee (as previously mentioned), we're giving you the opportunity to pay and stop this from happening. Pay securely using the following link https://spp.o2.co.uk/p/ZD9OVMNV or call us free on 08001116121. If you are struggling to meet your ongoing monthly payment please talk to us on 202. If you have already paid this amount today please ignore this message.

Now I thought this text was legitimate for multiple reasons, the first being it knows about a conversation I’ve had with O2 recently and the second being it knows the exact unpaid balance, I didn’t think at the time I read it to check the account number or anything so I paid the sum through the link provided, it was only afterwards that I realised it was a potential scam, I realised that where it says the texters name it just said UK and when I went to look at the number it had come from, there was no number, I thought that was odd, I then went and checked the account number and found it wasn’t mine, I then did my checks on the number in the text and found it was a legit number but was being used by scammers, as a result I went to check my bank and noticed the transaction said O2UK Ltd when it normally just says O2 for a transaction, it was for the amount described, either way I reported my card lost and also put a lock on it to stop further transactions and hopefully the one that is still pending, I’m incredibly embarrassed by this situation and urge anyone who gets something like this to do their checks before making a payment like I foolishly did. This is either a legit paying method or it’s a scam, I honestly don’t know.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Bethany wrote:
I have had this same text and obviously paid through the link but my services are still off. Anyone help please?

You need to borrow a phone and speak to customer services @Bethany 

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 11 of 15

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

If your payment was overdue it can take 24 hours to reconnect you. If this hasn't happened then call customer service.

Message 12 of 15

BigFan
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I’ve just had this text also. I put my card details in to the ‘secure payment portal’. It did not work so I paid through the app after. Am now worried I’ve just gave my card details to someone who is not 02. Are we sure that this secure payment portal is actually them? (ao2spp.o2)

Message 13 of 15

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@BigFan 

You should contact payment management for o2, to check if your payment has been received.

Details here Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

To pay bills, ask for payment extensions or query bills etc, you need to contact the Payment Management Team.

You can reach the Payment Management team on 0800 902 0217.

The opening times are:

Monday to Friday – 8am to 8pm

Saturday – 8am to 6pm

Sunday – 9am to 6pm

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/account-and-billing/payment-support

Best time to call is around 8.00am

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 15

Oxonian
Level 27: Desk Jockey
  • 4915 Posts
  • 81 Topics
  • 20 Solutions

@BigFan 

If you actually paid through the O2 app, I think that you'll find that O2 have received your payment ; but do please check following the contact details that @Cleoriff has provided. 

My concern here is that you have possibly handed your card details to a scammer when using the "secure payment portal". Hence, I think you need to contact your bank or card provider ; can you freeze the card using the bank or card provider's app ?  

Message 15 of 15