Welcome to the O2 Community

Has your question already been answered? See the community FAQ's

Discussions and Feedback

Level 25: Hard Hitter

Telefonica victim in this mass ransomware hack!

Any details on what's affected with this? I've just read on sky news that Telefonica were a victim along with the NHS 😟

Worrying thought!
Topics: 528

Re: Telefonica victim in this mass ransomware hack!

According to the panic email that our IT dept has just sent to everyone in our company, it is being spread (quite rapidly) by an email attachment or via a link to a phising site.
I assume the attack on Telefonica was due to an employee opening an attachment which then can apparently infect every computer on the same network. I don't think this will affect and customer accounts directly although it's possible the scammers may have access to account details.
I would hope that a company such as Tef will have backed up everything on a regular basis so fixing the problem will be as simple as reinstalling the last backup.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone7 (EE)
Topics: 669

Level 25: Hard Hitter

@MI5 I'd hope so too, but.... 😳🤔
Topics: 113

My laptop being used in Spain had been very sluggish earlier today.

I ran virus, malware and CryptoPrevent checks when I heard about this but all returned zero defects.

Win10 updated midday and since then my laptop has returned to normal performance.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Topics: 113

Not just Telefonica affected in Spain, the major energy supplier Iberdrola was also affected and some of the local health centres. Also Vodafone ES and Gas Natural took precautionary measures.
Reports here in Spain say the origin of the attack was China.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Topics: 292
Kudos: 1,844
Ideas: 6

[ Edited ]

Microsoft have released a patch for the out of date o/s affected if you are still runing old o/s head here https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/05/12/customer-guidance-for-wannacrypt-attacks/?utm_so...

iPhone xs 256gb on 20gb tariff o2 open discount
iPad Pro 11” 2018 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Henstridge Rural South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

This morning I had to make a unexpected trip to our local NHS Trust. All online systems were down. All I hope is those responsible for this cyber attack have relatives who are requiring treatment today!. Our hospital had no access to patient notes. Blood results. etc etc etc. All notes were written by hand and unless you were fully cognisant of your own illness and treatment  you stood no chance. Sickening idiots I hope they rot .Smiley Mad

*The Game Is On*

Topics: 528

Problem is made worse by the fact the NHS still use Windows XP.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
OnePlus 6 (O2 & Sfr), Z3 Tablet (Three UK), iPhone7 (EE)

The money the NHS have spent on their IT systems over the years beggars belief (All 5 years behind the times) However any death of those requiring urgent treatment today .....IS to do with little sh**s who thought it would be great fun to cripple the only system we have. Remember this also happened in Spain. I'm sure they don't use Windows XP

*The Game Is On*