cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telefonica victim in this mass ransomware hack!

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Any details on what's affected with this? I've just read on sky news that Telefonica were a victim along with the NHS 😟

Worrying thought!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
According to the panic email that our IT dept has just sent to everyone in our company, it is being spread (quite rapidly) by an email attachment or via a link to a phising site.
I assume the attack on Telefonica was due to an employee opening an attachment which then can apparently infect every computer on the same network. I don't think this will affect and customer accounts directly although it's possible the scammers may have access to account details.
I would hope that a company such as Tef will have backed up everything on a regular basis so fixing the problem will be as simple as reinstalling the last backup.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions
Message 3 of 12

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
@MI5 I'd hope so too, but.... 😳🤔
Message 4 of 12

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
My laptop being used in Spain had been very sluggish earlier today.

I ran virus, malware and CryptoPrevent checks when I heard about this but all returned zero defects.

Win10 updated midday and since then my laptop has returned to normal performance.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 5 of 12

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Not just Telefonica affected in Spain, the major energy supplier Iberdrola was also affected and some of the local health centres. Also Vodafone ES and Gas Natural took precautionary measures.
Reports here in Spain say the origin of the attack was China.
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 6 of 12

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Microsoft have released a patch for the out of date o/s affected if you are still runing old o/s head here https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msrc/2017/05/12/customer-guidance-for-wannacrypt-attacks/?utm_so...

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 7 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

This morning I had to make a unexpected trip to our local NHS Trust. All online systems were down. All I hope is those responsible for this cyber attack have relatives who are requiring treatment today!. Our hospital had no access to patient notes. Blood results. etc etc etc. All notes were written by hand and unless you were fully cognisant of your own illness and treatment  you stood no chance. Sickening idiots I hope they rot .Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 12

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Problem is made worse by the fact the NHS still use Windows XP.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

The money the NHS have spent on their IT systems over the years beggars belief (All 5 years behind the times) However any death of those requiring urgent treatment today .....IS to do with little sh**s who thought it would be great fun to cripple the only system we have. Remember this also happened in Spain. I'm sure they don't use Windows XP

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 12