cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious MMS

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just received a MMS that purports to be from O2UK.  It is a picture message 879KB and claims to be a "multimedia message notification" from  a "Hidden sender address".  Subject is "Untitled".   Is this likely to be a legitimate message from O2?  Or should I just delete without opening it?

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@AnonymousNever rely on my advice anyway (unless it is medical)....if it's anything technical then I would usually stay quiet LOL My point was none of the usual suspects/experts/ geeks on here have ever had a message of this type before...so personally I would always follow the delete and destroy advice...you can never be too careful.Fear..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I though that might be the case but you never know...

As for what they can or not do, I'm not commenting because I honestly don't know the technicalities on this. All I know is that if you get an MMS that your phone cant open, it stays in limbo and becomes available on the website when u enter the pin.

Ok @Anonymous -    think I will continue to treat any such messages as "suspicious" and bin them unceremoniously.  Better safe than sorry. In any event I very much doubt if important information is likely to be conveyed to me by legitimate businesses or valued friends in such a manner. 

Message 32 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@AnonymousNever rely on my advice anyway (unless it is medical)....if it's anything technical then I would usually stay quiet LOL My point was none of the usual suspects/experts/ geeks on here have ever had a message of this type before...so personally I would always follow the delete and destroy advice...you can never be too careful.Fear..

@Cleoriff - Just to be clear I wasn't "getting at you"  or indeed any of the other Community members whose advice and guidance I have hitherto found most helpful.  And don't put yourself down - your tuppence worth is always interesting, to the point and well founded and insightful.

Message 33 of 43

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Tuppence worth...an expression only known to those of us of a certain age @Anonymous..

And I didn't think you were getting at any of us....just the O2 systems....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Tuppence worth...an expression only known to those of us of a certain age @Anonymous..

And I didn't think you were getting at any of us....just the O2 systems....:smileywink:

Bouncy    Nonsense @Cleoriff You are still a young'un, but  I am old enough to remember when tuppence was a fortune!!!! 

Message 35 of 43

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It's flippin spam fgs!!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 36 of 43

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
It's flippin spam fgs!!

And there speaks God...LOL

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 37 of 43

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@MI5 wrote:
It's flippin spam fgs!!

And there speaks God...LOL

And he leddeth us beside the still waters....

Message 38 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
It's flippin spam fgs!!

I am sure you are right @MI5 and my confidence in your judgment was such that I did in fact delete and destroy the weird mesage.   I know you probably won't want to waste any more of your time on this, but I would be interested to know why you think a spammer would send a message that tells me I have a received a MMS sent from my own number that my own phone isn't capable of opening? I know I am old and stupid and not technically minded but I still have a few grey cells left and even I spotted the stupidity of that.

Message 39 of 43

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The fact that it came from your own number (allegedly) is a giveaway in itself (the same as the emails you send to yourself).
The bit that says your phone can't display it is designed to raise your curiosity even further and tempt you to click it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 40 of 43