cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious MMS

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just received a MMS that purports to be from O2UK.  It is a picture message 879KB and claims to be a "multimedia message notification" from  a "Hidden sender address".  Subject is "Untitled".   Is this likely to be a legitimate message from O2?  Or should I just delete without opening it?

Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

A FURTHER DEVELOPMENT

Having taken the good advice to delete the suspicious MMS , I have n ow received a further Text Message (allegedly) from  O2_Alert.   This one says "You have been sent a media message from....."  (It then quotes a mobile telephone number which rather curiously happens to be MY own mobile number!!!) "that your mobile does not support.  View it at www dot o2 dot co dot uk/m by typing in your mobile number and pin : "  It then gives a 6 character PIN.

Another one for Delete and Destroy!   Maybe @MI5 's sense of drama is well founded!!!

It's enough to make me jump ship to BT Mobile!!!

That sounds legit I'm afraid.I've not seen it in a while, probably because people don't sent MMS that much these days.

If you are sent an MMS with a file either too "heavy" or in a format your phone doesn't support, those are the messages that you get. If you login online using the pin code it will give you the pic/video that was sent to you. As for the sender being your own number, it's purely because the system doesn't record the sending number, so it uses yours.

Of course I've not seen the messages so cant guarantee they are the real deal but they do sound like it...

Message 21 of 43

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That's a throwback to the process when your phone doesn't support mms, you have mms blocked in settings or it isn't provisioned on your account. 

Message 22 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

That's a throwback to the process when your phone doesn't support mms, you have mms blocked in settings or it isn't provisioned on your account. 

Good memory @jonsie! wink

It takes me back to when people that had a Nokia sent pictures to other mobile brands...they were never compatible...you had to have a Nokia to be able to open them...or you would get a message like this !

Message 23 of 43

Cleoriff
  • 122381 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

If it is legit @Anonymous then I would suggest O2 need to review that particular means of communication. With all the spam, hacking and virus's we are all prone to nowadays, no wonder everyone else viewed it with suspicion. I would have done exactly the same....:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not much they can do...unfortunately all means of communication are used nowadays by dangerous people...Notice that the message doesn't ask you to follow any links...I think O2 already "adapted" the notifications because of that....You have to tap the URL and enter the pin code...

Sad that technology is used the way it is nowadays...

You just have to read the news and see how many cyber attacks are being made daily all over the world... 😞

Message 25 of 43

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Cleoriff
  • 122381 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Yep, o2 have been hit a number of times.

Which is why I would have 'deleted and destroyed it' Not one of us (on this thread) except Gerry... has ever had O2 communication via this route...so it's no wonder people are worried...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 27 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

Yep, o2 have been hit a number of times.

Which is why I would have 'deleted and destroyed it' Not one of us (on this thread) except Gerry... has ever had O2 communication via this route...so it's no wonder people are worried...

Oh @Cleoriff  - that really is woprrying!   Am I being discrimated against? slight_smile   Or am I the lucky one and everyone else is losing out? Smiley Surprised

I know my phone is not the most up-to-date,  but my Galaxy S4 is perfectly capable of opening photos,video and audio messages in quite a variety of formats.  And to substitute my own number as the sender is just plain daft not to say totally misleading. 

The very worst aspect of the whole mess now turns out to be that unfortunately I can no longer rely on the advice given (albeit freely and in good faith) by the acknowledged experts in the Community. That makes me nervous and does nothing to assauge my paranoia.  Crazy

Message 28 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

[snipped]

That sounds legit I'm afraid.I've not seen it in a while, probably because people don't sent MMS that much these days.

If you are sent an MMS with a file either too "heavy" or in a format your phone doesn't support, those are the messages that you get. If you login online using the pin code it will give you the pic/video that was sent to you. As for the sender being your own number, it's purely because the system doesn't record the sending number, so it uses yours.

Of course I've not seen the messages so cant guarantee they are the real deal but they do sound like it...

Sadly your advice came a bit late in the day @Anonymous - but thanks anyway. 

Clearly O2 (and presumably other Service Providers) need to extract the digit and create more meaningful,  less cryptic messages. I do not for one nanosecond believe that they cannot/do not record the sending number, or that they could not indicate the file format that is causing the problem.  The logic of substituting the receiver's number for the sender's totally defeats me.

Message 29 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

I though that might be the case but you never know...

As for what they can or not do, I'm not commenting because I honestly don't know the technicalities on this. All I know is that if you get an MMS that your phone cant open, it stays in limbo and becomes available on the website when u enter the pin.

Message 30 of 43