cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspicious MMS

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just received a MMS that purports to be from O2UK.  It is a picture message 879KB and claims to be a "multimedia message notification" from  a "Hidden sender address".  Subject is "Untitled".   Is this likely to be a legitimate message from O2?  Or should I just delete without opening it?

Message 1 of 43
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Delete and destroy.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 43
42 REPLIES 42

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Delete and destroy.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable
Delete, do not open
Message 3 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Delete and destroy.

Thanks @MI5   I have deleted as suggested.  Does that also destroy or is there some further action needed - for example is there a "recycle" bin or other cache to be emptied as well?  I have a Galaxy S4.

Message 4 of 43

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Well this is a new one on me ....never heard of this one before.....Mind you on my laptop they spring up everywhere with so called legit addresses till you hover the mouse over the sender and it is completely obvious its fake...or worse...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

Well this is a new one on me ....never heard of this one before.....Mind you on my laptop they spring up everywhere with so called legit addresses till you hover the mouse over the sender and it is completely obvious its fake...or worse...

It's the first I have received on my phone too @Cleoriff

Message 6 of 43

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

It's the first I have received on my phone too @Cleoriff

Never had one at all on my phone @Anonymous....In fact the only texts I get from O2 are to tell me my bill is ready to view.....and the Travel one when I land in Spain.......

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 43

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I've never known O2 to send anything other than emails or plain texts, so this sounds dodgy to me.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 8 of 43

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

I've never known O2 to send anything other than emails or plain texts, so this sounds dodgy to me.

That's what I thought too @perksie - hence my immediate recourse to the Community.  I very much doubt if O2 would send any important information to a customer by means of an MMS.

Thanks again to all for your advice. 

Message 9 of 43

Cleoriff
  • 122368 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Slightly off topic and apologies to @Anonymous but it seems ok to mention here that since I have been in Spain (for past 3 days) I have been plagued with spam calls. (About 10 in total) I don't answer them obviously and add them to reject list....but for someone who rarely gets these calls when I am in the UK it seems pretty weird they are coming in now.....Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 43