cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden 'Inactive Sim' on Sony Ericsson K750i

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi People,

I bought a K750i on Ebay.co.uk in November last year. Yesterday my phone started displaying an Inactive Sim message. I established the problem was certainly with the K750i by testing the SIM with different phones. Incidentally, the problem started exactly at the moment when I had the phone in my back pocket and sat down on it. At first I was convinced this was the problem and I had shocked the phone or something. However, I spoke to O2 today, who confirmed the phone has been barred. I feel so gutted, as it was working fine for 4+ months. I’m not optimistic about getting this resolved via Paypal Protection thingy or by the original seller...it’s been over 4 months now.

But anyway, I heard that this happened to another person who was with Vodafone. Vodafone established this person had genuinely purchased the phone and removed the block. I can certainly provide my own proof of purchase (ebay transactions etc.) O2 told me they can’t do anything. I was going to take out a new contract with them in two weeks, but now I'm left very disappointed with this lack of interest in my case. They have the power to remove the blacklist, so why don't they? And if the phone is marked as stolen (on the assumption that this is why its been blocked), should the Police be not coming around and taking it off me? Is there way to officially remove the block? This phone replaced another K750i which was (ironically) stolen from me. I know I will be taking a contract soon with anyone but O2 in the coming weeks, as that is how bitter I feel right now.

But any further advice would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi People,
I bought a K750i on Ebay.co.uk in November last year. Yesterday my phone started displaying an Inactive Sim message. I established the problem was certainly with the K750i by testing the SIM with different phones. Incidentally, the problem started exactly at the moment when I had the phone in my back pocket and sat down on it. At first I was convinced this was the problem and I had shocked the phone or something. However, I spoke to O2 today, who confirmed the phone has been barred. I feel so gutted, as it was working fine for 4+ months. I’m not optimistic about getting this resolved via Paypal Protection thingy or by the original seller...it’s been over 4 months now.
But anyway, I heard that this happened to another person who was with Vodafone. Vodafone established this person had genuinely purchased the phone and removed the block. I can certainly provide my own proof of purchase (ebay transactions etc.) O2 told me they can’t do anything. I was going to take out a new contract with them in two weeks, but now I'm left very disappointed with this lack of interest in my case. They have the power to remove the blacklist, so why don't they? And if the phone is marked as stolen (on the assumption that this is why its been blocked), should the Police be not coming around and taking it off me? Is there way to officially remove the block? This phone replaced another K750i which was (ironically) stolen from me. I know I will be taking a contract soon with anyone but O2 in the coming weeks, as that is how bitter I feel right now.
But any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

There is only a short period of time after a block has been put in place when it can be easily removed. If a phone was reported lost, but then found it may be possible to lift the block. But this does not apply to a phone reported stolen as, unfortunately, the law states that if you buy something that has been stolen then it does not become yours. It's not O2 you should be bitter with, but the seller.

You should report the seller to the police, PayPal and eBay (for selling stolen goods). But may have to lodge a claim against the seller in the small claims court to get your money back. You will probably have to surrender the handset to the police.
Message 2 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the quick response, prking.

I understand that it does not become mine because it was a stolen item (and keep in mind this is purely an assumption, if a calculated one). It just seems strange to me that it happened after 4months. Why was the phone suddenly reported stolen and blocked after such a long period of time. Perhaps the seller himself had it blocked, I don't know. I'm just contemplating having to shell out more money getting a new phone. Is it possible that an operator typed in the wrong IMEI code when blocking a stolen phone?

My point is, this could happen to anyone. You buy a phone, and few months (maybe even years) down the line it becomes useless due to being blacklisted. And you are helpless in doing anything about it. Surely I then should have a right to know who blacklisted it...and why? Or maybe the service provider (i.e. O2) should investigate this further to establish what happened?

Do you think if I lodge a claim against the seller in a Small Claims Court, that I will definitely win? I mean I could end up losing even more money, with fees etc.

Thanks again.
Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Read of another case where Vodafone unblocked a phone for someone as they could not verify why the phone had been blocked or something along those lines. I'm well disapointed with the lack of effort on O2's part, and will go with Vodafone for my next contract. I mean who knows, I could buy a brand new phone and after the warranty expires, it's suddenly blacklisted...what am I supposed to do then? There's got to be more tranparency in this whole blacklisting process.
Message 4 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is not unusual and is a well known ebay scam. Most likely the original owner decided to make an insurance claim. It is also becoming apparent that the gap between sale and reporting lost of stolen is widening.

You don't say what network the phone was originally on as it is they who have to lift the bar.

If the reason for the bar was definitely 'stolen or lost' then it can only be the original owner who can get it lifted, otherwise it would make a mockery of baring phones in the first place.
Message 5 of 5