cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Discount + VAT receipt

Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Is there still the 10% student discount for handsets? I bought a Oneplus 5 from an o2 store the other week before i found out the 5T was available and returned it in anticipation for the 5T. Now one store is saying that they do not do student discount on handsets, another is saying it is not applicable for new release devices and another is saying that it will be applicable for student discount after 1 week?

I dont understand how 1 company doesn't have a set standard for this when it should surely apply to every single o2 retail store?

2. Having been told there was no student discount i bought the phone either way, I was told before purchase that VAT would be shown on the receipt. And low and behold the only price on there was the full price of the handset £499 and no other figures. I was then told by there agent in the store that "you can just use the VAT number shown and calcualte it myself". Of which i cannot use the simplified VAT  receipt accounting method to do this because the item is over £250 which means i will need a full VAT receipt in order to claim back the VAT which this phone obviously have VAT attatched.

The person asked all the other people in the store and i was told that the receipt i was given (which showed no vat whatsoever) is the only receipt that i can have. I then called up o2 PAYG customer service to explain what i was told and was told that i should be able to get a VAT receipt without any problem and i explained that i had already been into the store twice and obviously they said i cannot have one. They said that they would call up the store for me, get them to do it and email it to me and that he would call me back within an hour to confirm that it had been done. It has been 4 hours since then and its is more than obvious that i am not getting a call back.

ANY VAT registered business by law needs to provide a customer with a VAT receipt showing the VAT breakdown if requested as in Regulation 13 of the VAT Regulations 1995 (Statutory Instrument 1995/2518), which are issued under power of Para 2 of Schedule 11 of the VAT Act 1994.

So in this case, speaking to the store has provided no result and even speaking to customer service has provided no result either. What options do i have as esentially if i am not provided the VAT receipt that i have requested then there is a law being broken. Thanks for any advice in advance

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144193 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27633 Solutions
For the VAT receipt you may be better off making a complaint to get resolved
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
They should issue one on request.
Details of discounts here
https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/O2-Open-amp-Friends-and-Family-discounts-H...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 5

Marjo
Former Staff
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous! Did you end up getting the call back at all regarding the VAT receipt or are you still waiting? 

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not heard back whatsoever, in the meantime have contacted TS, HMRC and the relevant ombudsman.

Message 4 of 5

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

Morning @Anonymous! Sorry to hear that. 😞 To see if we can help in any way, I'm going to drop you a quick PM (private message here on the forum) shortly to get a few additional details. Please check when you get a moment?

Message 5 of 5