Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange text message?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, just got a txt from 850 66 which says :

FreeMsg: Utext! Our New SMS service, get 1000 SMS per week. Text YES to 85066
Join Utext web2mob SMS for £3/week EVisn 08445796350 To Leave text STOP to 85066

Any one know what this is about? as it does not look very legit imo?
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable
i thought it ment if you join by texting YES to text STOP if you want to leave once you have joined

It does read that way with this one. Usually with these things you have to text STOP when you received the first one, otherwise they tend to sign you up indefinitely. If that happens then you text STOP ALL.

As I said, there's no harm texting STOP to be on the safe side. Up to you of course.

SV
Message 11 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6961 Solutions

As I said, there's no harm texting STOP to be on the safe side. Up to you of course.
SV

Yes, thinking about it, that's good advice.
Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
I also got one of these texts. I was half asleep when I got the text from 'Utext' and stupidly replied 'YES' thinking it was an o2 promotion. Straight away it took 3 pounds from my phone and when I frantically replied 'STOP' 5 times it just continued to take my money (as well as charging me 10p service charge for the texts). After reading these post I again texted 'STOP ALL' but don't know if it's worked. I don't know what to do as I can't ring anyone now this late at night and I'm worried it'll just keep taking my money as it doesn't let me cancel or stop it! Can anyone help me please? Can I stop this and get my money back? I can't believe o2 have allowed this! I haven't given my number to any such services nor to any promotional company so how did this 'Utext' get my number in the first place?!
Message 13 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's illegal under UK law for a company to send unsolicited marketing SMS messages to people. The Information Commissioner handles complaints.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/pri ... asics.aspx
Message 14 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6961 Solutions
I also got one of these texts. I was half asleep when I got the text from 'Utext' and stupidly replied 'YES' thinking it was an o2 promotion. Straight away it took 3 pounds from my phone and when I frantically replied 'STOP' 5 times it just continued to take my money (as well as charging me 10p service charge for the texts). After reading these post I again texted 'STOP ALL' but don't know if it's worked. I don't know what to do as I can't ring anyone now this late at night and I'm worried it'll just keep taking my money as it doesn't let me cancel or stop it! Can anyone help me please? Can I stop this and get my money back? I can't believe o2 have allowed this! I haven't given my number to any such services nor to any promotional company so how did this 'Utext' get my number in the first place?!

See similar problem @ viewtopic.php?t=22497&highlight= then go to Phonepay Plus for advice on getting a refund (see Popular questions).

Hope this helps
Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the info Steve. I emailed the company asking for a refund and to take my number off their lists. Hopefully they will reply and I'll get my money back. Thanks!
Message 16 of 16