cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Calls on My O2 Phone

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys

Some general feedback to O2 senior executives...

There's been a huge increase in "spam calls" from fraudsters, claims management companies and suchlike coming through on my phone recently. (I am registered with the telephone preference service.) I'd now say that three out of every four calls I receive are unwanted spam calls.

I no longer answer my landline because BT failed to protect its service from people like these, and I now perceive it as "the spam phone." Sorry to say, but I'm beginning to perceive O2 calls in the same way, and this is leading me to disengage from your service.

Just as Google has taken an incredibly proactive approach to cleaning up GMail spam, can I please encourage you to adopt a similar approach to controlling and eliminating these parasites from your network? Over the long term, they could drive you out of business. (Data access to the Internet is a commodity. Incoming calls from friends and family to a specific phone number are what bind you to a network, at least to some extent.) 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - how appalling - I always deselect these options, and it looks as if O2 has been passing my details onto partner organanisations.

That is an appalling, scandalous breach of trust. Shame, shame, shame on O2.

Message 11 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you!
Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Quite agree. Appalling.
Message 13 of 16

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Reposting my answer to another thread on this issue: 

Hi guys I’ve had a response on this and I can confirm that these calls are part of a scam that relies on you calling the number back to make money. Provided that you don’t call the number back you won’t be charged. Unfortunately, O2 are unable to block these calls as a quick fix because the number changes regularly but they are looking at ways to address them.

The advice is as follows:

• It’s best not to answer these calls but if you do you won’t be charged
  • Don’t call the numbers back or you will be charged!
  • Block these nuisance numbers on your device to prevent repeat calls from the same number

You can also find some advice on dealing with these types of calls in this Community guide

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 14 of 16

Keysey
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Rest assured it's not just O2, my wife has recently gone back to Vodafone and she has the same problem. Strangely I don't have any issues with my phone so it could be the company you use to buy your Contract with have sold your details, in my wifes case it was mobiles.co.uk

Message 15 of 16

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

@Keysey yes I tend to get them in waves. Will have a month where I get spammed then nothing for ages. I've had the same mobile number for nearly 20 years which doesn't help.

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 16 of 16