Did you mean: 

Slow speeds (Capacity issues?) Belfast

davybhoy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 16 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi all.

I used to be with EE and then VF and when in Belfast CC I could get lightening fast speeds with EE and very good speeds with VF. I have changed to O2 due to a very good deal and never been so sorry in all my life! The speeds are appalling!

I would sometimes struggle to get above 1Mbps and trying to watch the world cup was nearly impossible at times.

I am well aware that VF and EE have far more capacity than O2 but given they just bought a load of 2300Mhz then they really need to realise that there's more to the UK than London ffs!

Not to mention 2300Mhz will be crap for covering long distance and penetrating buildings!

I have complained using the app and on the phone. On the app I just get a message back saying there's no issues (so obviously capacity problem) and on the phone they sent me a new sim which made no difference at all.

It's a shocking network and I'll be buying out of my contract as soon as it's reasonably financially viable!

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

davybhoy
  • 16 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok, so I lost my head last Saturday when I couldn't watch the football and as I transferred from mast to mast the speed stayed abysmal (anywhere from 0.2Mbps - 1Mbps). I contacted O2 and did all the balls they suggested like resetting my network settings.

They put my case to the network team who tried to suggest a new sim (which I had already had) and then blamed the handset. I explained my wife's phone is exactly the same and she got exactly the same speeds so wasn't the handset.

I eventually logged a complaint and was allowed to leave my contract early and return the phone to them. I couldn't get anyone to admit it was a capacity issue at any stage but the network team are bound to know this!

Went to CPW yesterday and paid £29.99 up front for brand new S9, 30Gb and the usual unlimited texts and calls. I was with EE for over a decade until 2 and a half years ago so knew what I was getting.

A speed test a short time ago does this (only on band 3)...Screenshot_20181012-124422_Speedtest.jpg

Message 11 of 22

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92924 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That just confirms what we have known for months, O2 are lagging way behind EE. It's the same in my area,

Taken 10 minutes ago sat in my armchair.

Screenshot_20181013-013221.png

Screenshot_20**Personal info**-**Personal info**.png

Message 12 of 22

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions

I thought I was tripping when I got this..

received_272840933339646.png

Message 13 of 22

jonsie
  • 92924 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@viridis wrote:

I thought I was tripping when I got this..

received_272840933339646.png

Roll me one of whatever you're smokin' Dance

That's quite impressive though.....

Message 14 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122376 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Just tried mine last night. Nowhere near. Also my mast shown is Leicester. I don't appear to have any option to change it to one closer (as I could with the old speedtest )

I also noticed @viridis that you actually got 4G+.....must have past me by!!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 15 of 22

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Had 4g+ for a long while now, though some phones don't display 4g+, just 4g.
To change server, click the X on the top left, then on the app home screen, click the server name, it then gives the option to change.
Message 16 of 22

viridis
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Just tried again.. got 25mb down at work on 1 bar of 4g..
Seemed Foleshill has better data speeds than the rest of the city...
Message 17 of 22

Cleoriff
  • 122376 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@viridis wrote:
Had 4g+ for a long while now, though some phones don't display 4g+, just 4g.
To change server, click the X on the top left, then on the app home screen, click the server name, it then gives the option to change.

Thanks. I'll try that later...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 22

davybhoy
Level 1: Joiner
  • 16 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@viridisThat's pretty impressive for 1 bar on 4G. Have you a Samsung and can enter the service menu to see what bands you are using?

I just 21Mbps on 1 bar of 4G at home. My house isn't where I got the 87Mbps the other day. My test on both occasions was just on band 3.

When on O2 I was nearly always running on band 20 and band 3 and still couldn't get near EE.

Message 19 of 22

jonsie
  • 92924 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Just tried mine last night. Nowhere near. Also my mast shown is Leicester. I don't appear to have any option to change it to one closer (as I could with the old speedtest )

I also noticed @viridis that you actually got 4G+.....must have past me by!!

Try holding the phone a little nearer the mast......Whistle

Message 20 of 22