Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow 4G speeds in Preston.

ClaydonKing
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hello all. Recently I have noticed my 4G data speed in the Centre of Preston  and my work address has dropped considerably. Last speed check I had 0.4mb/s download and 1.05mb/s upload. This has been in several locations. I have been getting error messages on my browser such as ' website unavailable' ' network unavailable ' or ' server error . Please check connection settings ' all while the phone is showing 4 bar signal strength on 4G . I then switched to 3G service and been getting 13mb/s download and roughly 5mb/s upload. 

Conpare and contrast.4 years ago I did a speed test from my new S6 edge in centre of Preston. I got 40mb/s . I remember it well as was quickest internet I ever had( still waiting for fibre at that time). What has gone wrong? 

It can't be congestion as the population  of Preston hasn't doubled. Yes phone usage has gone up but surely O2 have banked on this when they upgraded to 4G. Also speed testing other networks ... bigger networks then o2 achieved far bigger download speeds. One was in excess of 70mb/s. if they can do it why can't O2?

Another problem I encountered was in Manchester several weeks ago. The handset was showing 4G+. The same events described above showed up while in a 4G+ area e.g. Ultra slow download speeds... I presume 4G+ is better then 4G?

Can anyone Help?

for information my device is an S9+

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

ClaydonKing
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So basically several years ago O2 ceded control of all its masts to this joint venture company ... it then was allocated areas of control  (east of Uk) that give it control of its original masts in the east as well as  the ones that used to be Vodafone. I'm hope I'm right with this..

The result of this  have O2 customers  been abandoned  on this side of the country? 

If thatsthe case I'll be going Vodafone next time I'm up for renewal as around here seem to have it made with regards Vodafone services.. I'm all for mast sharing by a joint venture company but it should be like openreach, both companies have equal access to each mast and the company works for both equally

Message 11 of 11