cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal Issues

Anonymous
Not applicable

For a while now me, my wife and my father have all been having issues with our signal. My wife has spoken to many different people on the phone about the issue and have been told different things everytime.

We used to get a H+ data signal and perfect call signal in our town and now we are lucky if we get a G data signal and and calls at all. We have found that although we get calls they are intermittent and most of teh time we just get the no signal icon.

The previous call to the last one made we was told that there was no issues in our area and that they had contacted the local area and asked if there was any masts down, we were told that there was none. I then looked on the o2 status web page and it showed that there was a mast down. So we had received some incorrect information from the person on the other end of the phone.

My wife has become ever so more annoyed with the loss of signal and called Friday to try and find out again why we had issues connecting to calls and receiving data when away from a wifi connection. This time she was told that there was a mast down in the area and it isn't a priority to fix as it was "at capacity" and no time frame has been applied to fixing the issue.

As loyal customers with O2 for over 10 years  we think that this is quite discusting that you can be told that service to us is not a priority.

I am nearing my upgrade in May and thinking that I am looking at getting the new Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge I feel that there is no point to continue with my loyalty as I can't use my phone unless I am on a wifi connection or I am lucky enough to get a signal.

To put it bluntly we are "PAYING FOR A SERVICE WE ARE NOT RECEIVING"!!!!

We are paying a monthly contract and not being able to use it to it's fullest because "it's not a priority" to fix a mast that is down.

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

Anonymous
Not applicable
Had the OP followed the advice I have above and spoken to Network Services he should have been given this information.

Network Services are much more forthcoming. The issue is getting through as some Customer Service Agents are under the impression you can't be put through. But I have been told by several NS agents that calls should be put through.
Message 31 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been having problems with both incoming and outgoing call from home for months. Each time I check the system status I get "Sorry, A phone mast close to you isn't working"  Complaints are met with "engineers are working to solve the problem".  No indication of how long, but thye must have been working to solve the problem for months now.  Out of contract now, so without any firm dates will have to look elsewhere soon.

Message 32 of 39

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144211 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
If I were in your situation I would do the same, but make sure you check other networks with their PAYG sim cards first before committing to a contract with them.
Also, CS should be able to put you on the system for text and email updates regarding your current fault status.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 33 of 39

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Yes, time to change network I'm afraid. No need to hang around as you are out of contract but follow @MI5 advice re P&G sim cards. Also get your phone unlocked whilst it is free. Better resale value too.

Unlock An O2 Mobile

Message 34 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Please follow the advice above.

Note if you are changing networks and keeping same number to request a pac code and use it within 30 days. That will close your o2 account when used. Please do not cancel your direct debit until the final bill has been paid.

If you don't want to keep your number you will need to give o2 30 days notice to cancel otherwise your contract will continue.

Just call 202 on your o2 mobile for both of these options.
Message 35 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable

Silly question coming up -  are there any technical reasons why mobile phone "masts" (or rather the equipment that such masts support) could not be combined with or built into electricity pylons in remote areas?  Would/could this help improve network coverage or would it be a hindrance?

Message 36 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
In my area @Anonymous the Electricity Distribution Company have recently announced plans to take many of the electricity pylons down to improve the visual aspect of the countryside.

From a technical point of view could it be done? Almost certainly. There would be the usual issues of ownership and access.

However there could be one big issue. Health and Safety. And in this case with good cause. If a mast failed or was in line for an upgrade, the electricity supply may need turning off whilst the engineers were on site which could be for days at a time.
Message 37 of 39

Cleoriff
  • 122842 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

I doubt the National Grid would allow it Nick. My other half worked on pylons for years. The Health and Safety training in relation to pylons/overhead lines was second to none....so I can't see them allowing anyone else access. Also then we have the issue that telephone masts 'can be' hidden or disguised ...whereas pylons are where they are in order to give the best service to a particular area.....No attempt to change or disguise the look of pylons since the 1920's...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 38 of 39

Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely agree @Cleoriff. Today's electricity engineers are able to work without turning off the supply in many cases but like you I can't see them allowing others up there.

The countryside is a big issue at the moment and I suspect we will continue to see a reduction in the numbers of pylons which will be replaced with underground cabling as the ducts already exist. Reduces risk from weather damage too.

Also mobile phone masts are seeing reductions in numbers following Orange/TMobile and O2/Voda sharing.
Message 39 of 39