cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security question

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear O2,

It would be helpful, if when asking, "what is the answer to your security question?" (automated service) if you said what the security question was? Having an actual question is always handy for if an actual answer is wanted.

Kind regards

Message 1 of 13
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You can view your security question in your http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous I would tend to agree here. I contact O2 so rarely I struggle to remember what my security question was set at initially. We have an Ideas section on the forum.Why dont you post there and see if this is viable?

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Community-Ideas/idb-p/community_ideas

Edited to add....you aren't actually speaking to O2 here. We are all customers like yourself....:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 13

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
You can view your security question in your http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 13

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I always wonder why people need a reminder of the security question and it wouldn't be nearly as secure if they have to give a clue. How would they know if it's your mmn, your wife's maiden name,  the first school you went to, the first street you Iived in or the football team you love or lothe. Let's all take responsibility for the security question we register. 

Message 4 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I always wonder why people need a reminder of the security question and it wouldn't be nearly as secure if they have to give a clue. How would they know if it's your mmn, your wife's maiden name,  the first school you went to, the first street you Iived in or the football team you love or lothe. Let's all take responsibility for the security question we register. 

I agree to some extent...but I speak from personal experience and have difficulty remembering them all unless I write them down. I generally have three I use but when you dont contact institutions frequently it becomes a guessing game for me. We are all different after all

Also there are different ways of setting up and asking a security question.

For instance one place I bank with, asks 'what was your fathers middle name'? Easy.

A bit different to 'Whats the answer to your security question'?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 13

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I've never been asked to give the full security answer, only letters from it. How many people give anything other than their mothers maiden name.?

Message 6 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I've never been asked to give the full security answer, only letters from it. How many people give anything other than their mothers maiden name.?

It depends on the institution as to whether they ask for letters or full answer.  My bank in Spain has a completely different system altogether. it's a security question but totally unlike anything I use in the UK. Additionally if you knew my mother's maiden name you would understand why I never use it. Fear

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 13

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Naturally mine isn't mothers maiden name and neither should anyone else's be

Currently using:
Message 8 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mine definitely isn't that far that particular reason 

Message 9 of 13

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Never as that is on your birth certificate and can be a source of identity fraud . (Public records)

Things like first pets name etc are much safer as are first road you lived in etc 

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 10 of 13