Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam texts from 21203

Sloz
Level 1: Joiner
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Hi, i help out on the giffgaff Community, and over recent days, four customers have reported receiving texts from 21203, each message received deducts 10p

They insist that they haven't switched on the mmail service (text the word ON to 212)

Has anyone experienced a similar issue?
The concern is, that its possible for the mmail service to be switched on remotely for a particular number

Anyone have any ideas how it's possible for this to come about?
And if you have started receiving texts from 21203 out of the blue,
Could you possibly mention if you had recently visited a site or downloaded an app that you suspect could be the cause of the texts
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Sloz Lots of good advice on this site: https://payforitsucks.co.uk/  You might want to pass it on to your GiffGaff community members.

There's also this guide we point O2 community members to: https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Sloz nothing at all relating to this issue reported on here.

You may also not get any understanding of the issue either, so I'll tag @EmilieT to check with our gurus.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 17

EmilieT
  • 5434 Posts
  • 304 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

Thanks for the mention @MI5 thumbsup

@Sloz We haven't heard any report of this but I'll check with our gurus if they have any information on the issue you've described and will share any update here! Welcome to the forum as well Wave

Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Want to chat with other fellow-minded members? Head to our Off-topic section for some interesting chit-chat.
Check out our Priority board for tickets & offers updates, and to discuss all things Priority-related!
Welcome to O2! - New to O2? Find out all you need to know to get started!

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 4 of 17

Ashmatash
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I’ve received 2 of these messages and made no changes to my phone nor did I activate anything. I only discovered I was charged when I received a message from o2 directly letting me know I had been charged. I checked the GiffGaff forums and the messages I received were of similar format
Message 5 of 17

Sloz
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for all the replies everyone 

@Ashmatash
Can you recall visiting a site or using a new app before that which you think may be the cause of the texts?

Incidentally, did you text the word OFF to 212 to cancel?

Message 6 of 17

Sloz
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@EmilieT
Thanks for the welcome, and for passing this on to be investigated

The real concern is, that there's some kind of trick or script going about that will cause the mmail service to be switched on if you input your nunber somewhere
Message 7 of 17

Ashmatash
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Sloz not that I can recall I’m usually quite strict about what I sign up to. I’ve not done it yet but I’ll send it now to see what happens
Message 8 of 17

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 11991 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1120 Solutions
Out of interest, what is mmail?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 9 of 17

Sloz
  • 7 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
@Ashmatash
Thanks for responding, you can check to see if your mmail service is switched off by sending an email to 447777777777@mmail.co.uk
(with 07777777777 being your o2 nunber)

If you don't receive a text, it's switched off
Message 10 of 17