cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 -> My Review by BandOfBrothers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Device name : Samsung Galaxy Note 3

samsung-galaxy-note-3.jpg

By : BandofBrothers.

I would like to start this ‘Try The Tech’ Review with my usual and respectful Thank you to  @Toby , @MarinaP and @Marjo our O2 Community Site Management, and to 02 for permitting me once again to get my teeth into reviewing a device via the ‘Try The Tech Programme’, a gadget which I normally wouldn't have played with.  

To join this programme and perhaps try a device out yourself then just keep an eye out on the forum board here :  http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/bd-p/3  ,and put your name forward via a Private Message to Toby or Marina when they announce a new Phase of reviewing, and put yourself forward for a device(s) that interest you - Its as easy as that.  

The manufacturers specifications and more Product Information can be found here : http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/galaxy-note/smartphones/SM-N9005ZKEBTU 

Specifications : http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/galaxy-note/smartphones/SM-N9005ZKEBTU

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 accepts a Micro Sim Card.

Design

I really do like the way the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is put together ,and it is also thin and very light and comfortable to hold. That said I'm not overly keen on the fake leather stitched style back cover. {Not a dealbreaker}

This is also a phone that a person cannot use one handed all the time ,but that's not a deal breaker either for me, and the sPen helps dramatically. 

The 5.7" screen is equipped with 1080 x 1920 pixels with a very bright clear display.

The devices Internal memory is 32GB ,with the option of a SD Card up to 64GB, and the Ram is a very respectable 3GB. The snappiness of the phone is very apparent. 

Operating System & UI.

What I found under its hood was stock Android 4.2.2. and a 2.3Ghz Quad Processor. 

Phone Calls, Texting, Internet and General Usage.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 handled YouTube videos I like to view with absolutely no problems at all. Accessing forums and blog sites etc were seamless and buttery smooth. 

I made calls and received calls which were crystal clear for both parties. 

The keyboard was the usual android affair and was easy to use in sending text messages and writing posts on forums. The sPen came into its own here too. 

The internet experience using Chrome was a breeze to use.

Wifi connectivity to my Home Broadband Router and shops I frequent along with my free City Centre Wifi gave me no issues. 

I found no problems using the phone in sunny conditions outdoors and was just as good indoors too.

I use email apps heavily and The Note 3 pushed all my e mails and notifications to me from my BtMail server adequately , which is something that is a ‘want and need’ from any communication device I use.

The Apps available from GooglePlay were the usual affair of useful, eye candy and dross.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 coped very well with games I tried out. As usual I played Fifa 14, and also Batman, which pushes most devices to see if it offers a good gaming experience.

The ringtone alerts and Notification Sounds were loud and clear. 

The sPen is very easy to use and I liked the way that the phone responded when you retracted the s pen from the phone, which also makes the device a lot easier to use too.

My only concern would be is the cost to replace the s pen and nibs.

Battery Usage.

I received just under a days usage with a medium to heavy usage pattern. 

Camera.

The camera has a 13MP camera which is enough for me when i need to capture that ‘special moment’ picture. The front facing camera is 2MP. Both are good enough for what I as a casual picture taker would ever need. 

Music.

the phone played my music with no issue and was very easy to set up. Their are lots of bells and whistles for one to play around with within the music settings if you deem its warranted.

Accessories.

I found the usual affair of weird and wonderful expensive and low cost sleeves and cases for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on well known selling sites, and on the high-street.

Here is a couple of cases that caught my eye. 

note 3 case USE.JPGnoe 3 case 2_010_Origin_white.png

The Good for me about this phone.

Workmanship to a high standard.

Light to handle and comfortable to hold.

Large Display.

Very Good Performance overall.

Responsive Screen.

Micro SD Card Slot expands memory up to 64GB.

sPen makes a very nice addition.

4G.

The Not so good for me about this phone.

I didn't particularly like the fake leather stitched style rear cover.

Possible costs to replace sPen and Nibs.

My Rating out of 10.

7/10.

Conclusion.

A very nice phone indeed. {Can I keep it @Toby ? wink }

I hope you enjoyed my review as much as I enjoyed reviewing this Device.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
As I said, beenherebefore, we all are all different in our perceptions and behaviours. its a wonderful thing. Thanks for your thoughts on this slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 21 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122376 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I would say something completely different. I do NOT respect everyones views and opinions. I respect their right to have their own views and that is as far as it goes. This is not being arrogant in any way it is simply saying....

In terms of respect...this is something that is earned and not a god given right.

I would put it into context. I would not expect that everyone would 'respect' my technological knowledge.

They may however, if they choose, respect the fact that I endeavour to learn about technology...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 32

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92923 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Contradiction also comes into the equation and as much as I respect their rights and viewpoints, the validity of those comments determines the amount of respect I have. Just expressing my own opinion on this and people can make their own mind up as to their opinion of any comment I make.

Message 23 of 32

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Thanks for your thoughts guys :).

You know me, I'm just trying to make sure we all get along and enjoy ourselves here, respecting each other, not what necessarily always what we say because we all have different opinions. I hope that makes sense.

We'll hold a frank reviews discussion soon. Now, lets get back on-topic slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 24 of 32

jonsie
  • 92923 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I think pretty much all has been said on the subject and we need to move on. All comments are made with due respect but valid points none the less. I'm happy that comments are taken on board, I just ask that people are consistent with comments and posts and site admin are aware why certain comments have been made. So...yes, back on subject wink

Message 25 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Guys. 

After discussions with @Anonymous and @Toby I asked for my review thread to be re-opened for editing ,so I could change a few portions of it as I accepted that as I used a template to write my reviews they were staring to look a little like each other. 

The general format was ok but the wording needed to be re vamped. 

As ever I take onboard constructive criticism so thank you to those involved for highlighting this ,as I would have never realised this alone. 

I consider myself very lucky to be part of the 'Try the Tech Programme' , this Community Forum ,and to be able to engage with other members on all topics.  

I assure you you all of my best of intentions at all times. 

Best regards , Lee. 

Message 26 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently upgraded to the Note 3 from the Note 2.

Working in IT since 1970 I was always very happy with the Note 2 performance, but the Note 3 I am so delighted with, and I agree with the positive comments posted by the original reviewer! The Note 2 however is still a nice bit of kit!

I did spend a few days trying out a Sony Xperia Z Ultra, but was really unimpressed with it, espically the display compared to Samsung AMOLED, and the Xperia screens do not even rotate back to home! I gave it back and went for Note 3.

My only gripe is that it's just a shame Samsung don't give us a choice on choosing our own 'bloatware'. I spent a while (as with the Note 2) disabling apps I don't want, and even then you can't disable everything! I wish they would stop imposing apps on us we may not want, and let us make the decision.

O2 put me on 4G recently, wow what big difference to what I thought was the excelent H+ service (nearly 4G).

I had a chance in the Newcastle Samsung shop to play with the pre-release Note 4. Very nice, this will be my next phone! Oh then there's the 'Edge'!

Message 27 of 32

MI5
  • 143445 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I was going to go for the edge but it seems we won't get it in UK so I'm waiting on the Note 4 now......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 28 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been unable to get my hands on a demo Note 4 ,and am jealous you did !

From previous reports I wouldn't hold too much hope on seeing one of the Edge's on Uk shelves.

😞

I'm glad you liked my review as much as I enjoyed playing around with the phone. slight_smile
Message 29 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks folks!

The Newcastle Samsung shop invited me to the Note 4 drinks and launch, but I couldn't make it as one has to work! In theory they said the launch was today, but I'm not seeing anything in the press about it, apart from Android Lollipop, so perhaps it wasn't today.

I agree that my research shows the 'Edge' may not arrive in the UK, just yet... I've seen photo's, but it looks lovely, but may be a slightly lower spec than the true Note 4 from what I read. Thoughts?

As an IT engineer I have set up multiple iPhone's for the NHS, and I regard them as horrible little devices! If I want a bent phone I'll buy it engineered that way :-))

Long live Android!

Message 30 of 32