cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sad BT continue rip pockets

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

this is very sad news for all who were hoping BT will lose power and cancel all landlines which you

need when you make contract for broadband. They will get even more power now that we will have

to pay for service which no one use anymore

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/bt-agrees-125bn-deal-to-buy-ee-30966222.htm...

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

I am no spring chicken and I do ok. I learn as much as I want to. I have friends of the same age who know nothing about mobiles and don't carry one even now..

In the same way a lot of elderly people are suspicious about banks and keep money under a mattress.

Not all of them...but enough of them to cause worry.

The point is, if a landline is the only means of communication for some of our elderly population...then who are we to deny them that?

More than infuriated that anyone would accuse me of patronising this group of people.  Enough said I think. Smiley Mad

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 31 of 42

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6980 Solutions

Just one man's opinion @Cleoriff 

We all know some elderly people like this, that's not to say everyone is but their right to have a landline is a valid point.

Message 32 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I don't know why you seem to want to take offence at comments like this. Each to their own

Just to clarify a  point @Cleoriff  -  I do not understand how you could possibly have concluded that I was "offended" by your comments.  I was not in the least offended.  I was just expressing my own views from my own perspective based on my own experiences. 

EDITED  -  BTW - I had not seen your comment about being infuriated at being accused of being patronising before posting the above.  I am truly sorry that YOU were offended - that was never my intention and I am very sad and disappointed that after all time I have spent on this forum and the exchanges we have had previously you would have thought I would deliberately and publicly offend you. I myself will report the item as inappropriate and you can be sure you will not have any further cause for concern about anything I might post.  My sincerest apologies.

Message 33 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whistle

So.......back on Topic in the off-topic!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this before....as vulnerable people were mentioned I would have though that someone would mention one of the main reasons why I have a landline ...

For the emergency services to be able to know where u are! You cant have that with ur mobile!

Also 0800 numbers also not free....

Message 34 of 42

MI5
  • 144370 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
Mobile signals can be traced to an accuracy of 100m and that is without any location services turned on.
With them turned on it's 5m.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 35 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

I know that but that is not available to the emergency services and from a technical point of view I don't think it ever will.

Message 36 of 42

MI5
  • 144370 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27677 Solutions
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-205988/Mobile-999-calls-traced.html
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 37 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's better than nothing I guess...LOL

Still prefer the emergency services to knock on my door, instead of my neighbours! It can be the difference between life and death! 200m is a long distance when you live in a big crowded city!

Not even going to comment on the  outside the city and distance...It will help only if they cant speak...

Message 38 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

as someone who has elderly & poorly parents ..... they have a BT landline with an extension upstairs = works well - BT, & it's convenient for them & reassuring for me & my sister

a few years ago, off my own bat, I presented them with a Dorro mobile phone = big font + big buttons & initially they were shocked & actually my offerred it to me back saying they didn't want it Crazy..... however I gently persisted, & because both of them are good at reading instructions in paper form, it worked well - not-with-standing the odd hiccup like dad not getting a receipt when topping up from local newsagent = solution go a bit further up the town's main street to the ever helpful O2 store & forever since they have topped up there with confidence & indeed mum is not afraid like me to go into the store with any query the phone shows up - dunno utd whether she still turns the volume down when out shopping in town (it's too loud in publicCrazy) but anyway it's rare now that mum goes out of her home on her own

btw, both mum & dad made a decision not to 'go into computers' some years ago now ..... so they've each done very well with the Dorro phone - the elderly are proud & independent people & it should not be taken away from them where it can be avoided, but common sense should prevail where necessary

back on topic, BT suits my mum & dad well ..... sometimes money isn't the bottom line with consumers,particularly the elderly, who know BT as a long established & trusted brand slight_smile

Message 39 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff 

As promised in my message dated 6/02/15 and timed at 23:14  I have since then on two occasions asked the Moderator (via the Report Inappropriate Content route) to remove my earlier message which regrettably caused you such irritation and anger.  I have had no response and I see that 60 hours or more after I first requested removal of the offending item it is still being displayed.  I am sorry about that. I don't think there is much point my contacting the Moderatorial team again since they never seem to listen to what I say anyway.

Message 40 of 42