cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sad BT continue rip pockets

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

this is very sad news for all who were hoping BT will lose power and cancel all landlines which you

need when you make contract for broadband. They will get even more power now that we will have

to pay for service which no one use anymore

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/bt-agrees-125bn-deal-to-buy-ee-30966222.htm...

Message 1 of 42
41 REPLIES 41

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

bureaucracy

Indeed...one simply does not...Nor shall we forget Sean Bean...Drool

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 21 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm quite fortunate here in the Fens! Being the epicentre of everywhere, the mobile reception is that good I have no need for a landline to get broadband!
Message 22 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

I rarely use my landline to make calls but I couldn't get rid of it as a) I wouldn't want to reply solely on a mobile phone, b) I have elderly relatives who don't have mobile packages with unlimited minutes and therefore wouldn't phone my mobile and c) we both have elderly mothers who have alarms and the more numbers we can be reached on the better.

Message 23 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I rarely use my landline to make calls but I couldn't get rid of it as a) I wouldn't want to reply solely on a mobile phone, b) I have elderly relatives who don't have mobile packages with unlimited minutes and therefore wouldn't phone my mobile and c) we both have elderly mothers who have alarms and the more numbers we can be reached on the better.

I agree with all of that @Anonymous  My concern with keeping landlines is mainly to do with the elderly who have no wish to learn about mobiles. Life is difficult wnough for most of them as it is....without expecting them to learn a new skill at their age wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 24 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

I agree with all of that @Anonymous  My concern with keeping landlines is mainly to do with the elderly who have no wish to learn about mobiles. Life is difficult wnough for most of them as it is....without expecting them to learn a new skill at their age wink

That's a tad patronising is it not?  Just because I'm old does not mean I cannot learn new skills -  a lot depends of course how those skills are taught.  A lot of people have no patience with "the elderly", and are quick to use the age excuse to justify doing little or nothing to help them.

Message 25 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Exactly.  My Mum is partially sighted and has arthritis in her hands so, although she has a mobile, it's there for emergencies only - it's actually got an emergency button on it which goes straight through to the emergency services as I found out when I pressed it by accident Smiley Embarassed

I also don't want to be the one to have to teach her to use it properly...Crazy

Message 26 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous I don't think @Cleoriff 's post is patronising at all.  'Elderly' covers a huge age range and those at the younger end of the scale will find it easier to adapt than those at the older end.  It's not about not helping the elderly, it's about not forcing them into change that they don't want.  No one is stopping anyone from learning about technology, but only if they want to.

Message 27 of 42

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I don't think it's patronising at all. Many elderly people do not want a mobile phone, many are frightened of running up costs and won't use them. I bought my mother a mobile before she passed away so I could contact her when she was ill. No matter how I tried to educate her it remained switched off in her bag or she left it on the table when she went out. Maybe it was the way I was trying to teach her....

Message 28 of 42

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Cleoriff wrote:

That's a tad patronising is it not?  Just because I'm old does not mean I cannot learn new skills -  a lot depends of course how those skills are taught.  A lot of people have no patience with "the elderly", and are quick to use the age excuse to justify doing little or nothing to help them.

You interpret it however you like Gerry. I have worked for years with the elderly and happen to know a fair bit about what most of them are comfortable with. I certainly would never patronise them. In actual fact in relation to mobile phones I was talking about MY elderly parents and their siblings. I don't know why you seem to want to take offence at comments like this. Each to their own

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 29 of 42

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it is a fact of life that some (or many? ) elderly are NOT au fait with tech and it may frighten them a bit.

No one is saying (and certainly not @Cleoriff) that anyone over a set age is over the tech hill. It was clearly comment relating to a group of people.

Some older folk are very tech savvy.
Message 30 of 42