cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SKY purchase of home phone and Broadband

Anonymous
Not applicable

As those of us who have (had) O2 Broadband know, this along with home phone has been sold to SKY.

Over the years we have been vary careful not to give our mobile number to any commercial organisation to prevent endless nuisance calls.

However recently, we have received several call from SKY on our mobile numbers trying to sell us various packages.

Who the hell gace O2 authority to give SKY our mobile numbers, it's not as if SKY has bought the mobile business.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Who the hell gace O2 authority to give SKY our mobile numbers, it's not as if SKY has bought the mobile business.

You did I'm afraid as you have probably left your preferences in MyO2 set to allow O2 to contact you regarding your account and as a customer they are allowed to.

With the business transferred to Sky, according to the terms you agreed to, Sky are entitled to contact you.

If you don't like it you can write to O2 and Sky asking them to remove your details, but then neither would be able to contact you.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 2 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I take your point, but having checked, I have only agreed to contact by email.

Furthermore SKY have no connection whatsoever with regards to O2 mobile, and in O2's own terms and conditions it says the following:-

We may disclose your information:

to our partners, agents and subcontractors (including prospective partners, agents and subcontractors) who are involved in the delivery of providing products or services used or ordered by you;

• to other companies in the Telefónica Group, including their respective partners, agents and sub contractors (including prospective partners, agents and subcontractors);

Sky is not covered by any of these. As SKY have taken over the home phone, they will of course have my landline number, that I accept, and they will be able to contact me on that number if they feel they must.

As the calls have come from a Cardiff call centre which I suspect is not Sky's, yet another organisation already has our numbers.

Message 3 of 16

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

They have more rights than those as you can see here, the details on who to write to are in chapter 11 near the bottom:

http://static.o2.co.uk/www/docs/broadband/home-phone-and-home-broadband-terms-and-conditions.pdf

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 4 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the information.

As I have said, I acknowledge that O2 can pass SKY my Landline number as it is part of the home phone deal.

However, the mobile number is a grey area as far as I am concerned. If it was not for the fact that my mobile account is with O2, they would not have my mobile numbers, as I have stated I never give these numbers to any commercial organisation. I did not give them my mobile number as part of the Broadband deal and would not have done so, and it should have been treated as a separate entity, after all, my Broadband bill and mobile bill are completely separate.

I have to say, that (having read the document you sent) I resent this default situation whereby companies can use your details for marketing purposes, but if you don't want them to you have to contact (write as it says in the document) to stop this. It is a bit like some insurance companies now, they automatically renew your policy (continue taking direct debits) unless you specifically specify not.

I would guess all of this will be academic now, as I have no intention of staying with, SKY, as I do not like them as a company, and also, they cannot provide a Static IP address. Also, I now have no reason to stay with O2, their customer service is appaling, and it is just not worth it just for mobiles.

Message 5 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I must admit i was a bit annoyed that sky had called me. But when they told me what they were offering i was more than happy to accept!

£14.50 Weekendcalls (dont use)

Unlimted HBB

Sky Extra +

Sky HD Box 

i thought that was a good deal personally.

what the others have said is quite right if you havent opted out then Sky are within their rights and if you had a mobile number on your account they would be able to call it to offer you services they think you may want.

Message 6 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to say, I still don't agree, and certainly don't believe it's right.

I had O2 Broadband before I had O2 mobiles, and I did not give my mobile numbers to O2 Broadband in the begining, O2 Linked them together, and despite billing me separately, seem to be treating them as one.

Your package certainly looks attractive in price, and I do hope you are not dissapointed with the service, there has been alot of comments around about SKY broadband.

The thing is, it is no good for me, as they cannot supply a Static IP address, so this transfer is bad news all round for me, I have lost more than I had.

Message 7 of 16

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
The thing is, it is no good for me, as they cannot supply a Static IP address, so this transfer is bad news all round for me, I have lost more than I had.

Sky are thinking about that as they are buying the network with it already available.

Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sky are thinking about that as they are buying the network with it already available.

@perksie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Of the three people who have spoken to me, and their supervisors, not one of them has said that, and thinking about it is no good to me.

Message 9 of 16

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Go elsewhere then as that seems to be what you want to do anyway.

Message 10 of 16