cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SKY purchase of home phone and Broadband

Anonymous
Not applicable

As those of us who have (had) O2 Broadband know, this along with home phone has been sold to SKY.

Over the years we have been vary careful not to give our mobile number to any commercial organisation to prevent endless nuisance calls.

However recently, we have received several call from SKY on our mobile numbers trying to sell us various packages.

Who the hell gace O2 authority to give SKY our mobile numbers, it's not as if SKY has bought the mobile business.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

Go elsewhere then as that seems to be what you want to do anyway.

If SKY offered me a fixed IP address right now, I would sign up for another contract immediately.

Message 11 of 16

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Only reason for a fixed IP address is for buisness use which is against the T&Cs of sky. I dont see them implementing it anytime soon.

If you want a fixed ip youll have to pay for it through the nose like the rest of us sorry.
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 12 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Liquid wrote:
Only reason for a fixed IP address is for business use which is against the T&Cs of sky. I don't see them implementing it anytime soon.

If you want a fixed ip you'll have to pay for it through the nose like the rest of us sorry.

I think this is something that is changing, and the only reason is not limited to business users any more. More and more domestic users would like this feature to access home security (cctv) etc., so this would not contravene SKY's T&C's. My own requirements are very specific, and nothing to do with business.

O2 offered fixed IP for 5 pounds a month, which I didn't think was outrageous, however, before SKY got involved, you could virtually consider an O2 IP address as static, mine did not change in 2 years, now it changes every time the router restarts.

Message 13 of 16

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Argh very good point I had forgotten about CCTV. (sorry)
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 14 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

A warning to others.

I was not happy about being shunted out to Sky, they don't have a great reputation, but I relented and I wished I hadn't, they have made me so angry, their service is appauling, their staff just blatantly lie to you to get you off the phone, and I wish wish wish I had gone with my gut feeling.

I was tempted by their phone, broadband & TV offer, it was cheap, and to be honest I thought 12 months of this and I'll cancel it. 

I wanted the unsightly dish installed on the chimney, and was assured this wouldn't be a problem, but I was to mention it to the "engineer" when he called.  I did this, and the sharp intake of breath was all I needed to know that it would all go wrong and it did.   I have heard all the crappiest excuses you could expect for not doing this, including the obligatory "Health & Safety" - my partner is a H&S Consultant - bad move Sky.

I told them no thanks, and I'm still waiting for them to call me back, after assuring me there were other contractors who could install the dish. 

Needless to say, I have told Sky where to go, and have the slightly lesser evil TalkTalk doing their thing. 

O2 - You've made me feel unwanted.  Sky - You've made me feel like murder. I hope our paths never cross again.

My advice to you all - don't do it.

Message 15 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

The O2 Home Broadband and Home Phone Service was usually discounted if you already had a mobile phone with them. If you gave your O2 mobile number to the Home Broadband and Home Phone department to get the discount, then you would have automatically consented to the linking of your mobile phone account to your broadband account. This would have meant that your mobile number automatically passed over when your account details were passed to SKY.

The price for the Home Broadband and Home Phone package would have otherwise cost you more, so to complain about the linking of your accounts after getting a discount on the prices, seems more like trying to have your cake and eat it.

Message 16 of 16