Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM swap - pseudoscience?

a_hcir
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 133 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just a quick question for some of the more technically knowledgeable people on here... I can't help but notice that 'sim swaps' are recommended on these forums for all manner of ailments, but from my experience most of these suggestions seem to be overkill. I don't think that after 96 years of using gsm sims (exaggeration), not even when I worked in a job maintaining a fleet of mobile gsm modems in the early noughties, that I've ever experienced a sim fault, not even anecdotally from friends & colleagues.

Are these SIM swap suggestions legit? Do dodgy sims really cause signal problems rather than being hard failures?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Maybe they are just rubbish sim cards these days but they do fail.... quite often unfortunately.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5  A query please.

Back in the day we only had one sim type. Is is possible that we have more faults now due to having Mini, micro and nano sim...

As you know I am not at all technical but it seems 'coincidental' that the problems are increasing when we have more types available?Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 18

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Anything's possible....
Along with cost cutting and cheap manufacturing etc.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 18

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I can remember the days you had to pay £9.99 if you blocked a sim and had to order a new one. Now they are ten a penny. Cheaper manufacture hence cheaper quality methinks!

Message 5 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

See...I am not at all technical...but nothing like a bit of logicSmiley Very Happy

Facts are facts though, (according to many posts on this forum)

Frequently a sim swap does seem to work to correct some problems......

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Let's be honest it's like everything over the years it's all lost it's quality now these things are so mass produced and cheaply made
Message 7 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

I think it's also because people used to own one phone but now either people have a couple of devices or switch handsets / upgrade more often the act of taking a sim in and out of the sim tray in the device can cause more wear and tear.
Message 8 of 18

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
This is an interesting discussion. Out of everyone involved in this thread, have you noticed a clear decline in SIM quality over the years?
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 18

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

With the advent of microsims and nanosims, they are obviously smaller, thinner and more prone to develop faults. Along with mass production and cheaper materials there is bound to be a noticeable difference in the number of simcard failures but bear in mind the vast numbers of smartphones out there compared to 4-5 years ago.

Message 10 of 18