cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Free

Anonymous
Not applicable

I strongly believe that buying a phone and taking up a SIM only deal is better than getting the "free" phone deal. So, my question is why are SIM only deals more expensive for the iphones (is it literally to squeeze more money out of us) and; would it be possible to enter a SIM only deal for "any" smart phone and simply cut the SIM to size using one of the guillotine devices?

My concern is that I pick a SIM only deal fo rmy iphone 4s which is not "supposed" to be for the iphone to save £'s and then the SIM does not work once cut due to technical reasons which I am unaware of...

I look forward to your responses. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

If what you want is to have a sim only deal, then take a look at GiffGaff, which uses the O2 network. There are tutorials on the website for using an iPhone with a GiffGaff sim. No need to have to cut the sim to size. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cheers mate, wasn't thinking about switching providers, but i would consider it, have you used or had any feedback on GG?
Message 3 of 10

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

I haven't used it personally, although I've been thinking about trying it, and there are a few people on the forum who aren't keen on it, but it would probably be worth a try just for a month to see how you get on with it. Take a look at the GiffGaff forum to see what other users say about it. By the way, Tesco also uses the O2 network, and it actually has had good feedback. It just won the 2013 Which? Best Telecom Provider award.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

My daughter and several of her friends use GiffGaff.

Typically its ok but has no callcentre support.

They do have either slow internet or drop outs.

Have you thought about pay as you go go go ? 

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
ok mate, cheers, i'll look into Tesco as I was not aware they use same NW,
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
No call center support raises alarm bells lol, PAYG no good as I'm a heavy texter n caller, prefer free mins in region of 600 mins pcm, but cheers for the reply. slight_smile
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

On pay as you go go go £20 i receive 500 cross network minutes, 5000 texts and 1gb data.

If you have been with 02 already for 3 months it auto doubles.

ie..... a new person starts off on 250mins, 2500 texts and 500mb data.

Message 8 of 10

Bambino
  • 22943 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

O2 are trying to wean customers from call center support. They've begun to outsource their call centers, and always try to push customers to use Live Chat, which for the most part is useless, unless it's for very low level enquiries. So I wouldn't let the availability or not of having a call center be a major influence as to who you use for a provider.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bambino is correct regarding the 02 Uk Callcentre possible changes, but at least even in its present state 02 customers do have Live chat.

Giffgaff have a purely online Internet request help service only and their community forum.

I've been so tempted by the £12 Goody Bag with unlimited Internet ,even to the stage of having a Nano Sim delivered, but have been put off after asking several people who currently use the service by the reply that the Internet is slow ! 

Message 10 of 10