cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Free handset help....

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's been a while since I posted on this forum so my apologies if this has already been discussed. However I'm looking to get a new SIM-free handset and have narrowed my choice down to the following:
HTC HD7
HTC Desire HD
Samsung Omnia 7
iPhone 4
The first thing I need to know is, if I get a SIM free Desire HD or Omnia 7, will I be able to get the relevant settings etc to get them to work with my O2 SIM?
I really REALLY like the look of the Desire HD, and having used iOS and Android (iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4, HTC Desire), I'm a bigger fan of the little green robot than I am of the restrictive Apple.
I'd also like to give WP7 a go but I'm unsure as to whether or not to wait a while for it to develop.
I've owned an iPhone 4 and while it was very good, it just doesn't stand out as much as it used to (and you know that Apple realise that too when you start seeing them banging out new adverts for the "amazing retina display" - yeah yeah, heard it all before).
So, what would you guys recommend? If I can get the Desire HD working on O2 then I think I'll be heading that way but I'd like to hear some opinions on the rest...
Biased Fandroids or Apple Fanboys need not respond! Ta slight_smile
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nobody?
Well that does surprise me. I'd have at least expected a couple of people to post and preach about their iPhone 4s and how they're the best things ever wink
Message 2 of 6

sheepdog
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 3310 Posts
  • 31 Topics
  • 39 Solutions
Thats because you've posted in the wrong section grin
You should be able do get the settings from o2 - try the support pages from the main site for them.
As for recommendations, the rumourmill says there is major update for WP7 in January so hanging on then might be a better option. Especially as the new (rather yet another Android release this year) has appeared which adds more fun to your comparison.
Though you might want to consider the Nokia N8 as another alternative to your list.
Message 3 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oops.... My bad for posting in the wrong place then! :robotsurprised:
I'll never consider a Nokia until they've caught up. As far as I'm concerned they're still a few steps behind the latest Apple/HTC/Samsung offerings.
The Desire HD is looking VERY tempting at the moment. So is the HD7. I'm not a big app/game person so the lack of apps available at the moment on WP7 isn't too big of a deal for me, so long as I can get Twitter, Facebook and my emails then I'll be happy enough for now slight_smile
Of course, on top of all the phones I've listed, there's still the original HTC Desire, which is still a cracking phone, and a good £100-odd cheaper to boot slight_smile
Message 4 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
can i just ask what you mean by nokia catch up??
n8 is one of the most advanced smrtphones out there , well built , very functinal o/s , good battery life , brilliant hardware , it can do anything an android or apple phone can do and more
the c7 is also the 1st handset to sport a nfc chip
i think the statement
''I'll never consider a Nokia until they've caught up. As far as I'm concerned they're still a few steps behind the latest Apple/HTC/Samsung offerings.''
is well off the mark to be fair to nokia they listened to customers and have improoved alot
i dont know how anyone could consider a windows 7 phone over symbian to be honest but everyones different
back on topic you can easily get settings for any phone and input them manually
http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html
Message 5 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
can i just ask what you mean by nokia catch up??

It's just my opinion. To me it just seems as if Nokia are still one step behind the rest. There's that, and I hate having to go through dozens of menus and sub-menus to be able to do what I want. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the N8 is a very good phone, and I can understand why people are very happy with it. It's just not for me, that's all.
Regarding WP7 - I think more companies and developers are going to get behind it as time goes by (as they did with Android). I don't think that this is the case with Nokia.
Message 6 of 6