Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCAM gets thru block

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25023 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

After falling victim to one of the scam message, I took the advise from members of the Community and contacted 02 Customer Services, who put a bar on all direct to Bill debits and bar Premium Rates....

However, today, purely by chance I checked my message in-box and found:

65065 -  Freemsg: Lorena Medienagen fur - free trial ends [date] then £4.50 per week, unless STOP to 65065.

Given the date of message and when I saw it, there is a chance that I could be billed for one week.

I sent STOP to 65065 and got an instant retur msg:

STOP Payforit Freemsg subscription to Metro Games ended. Help: 0207 369915.

I have never subscribed [or linked] to Metro Games and/or Lorena Medienagen.

How did this get through the supposed blocks which is meant to be in place on my 02 account?

This is worrying and highlights the need for 02 to drop their "trusted partners" and the scams.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 1 of 79
78 REPLIES 78

Mi-Amigo
Level 47: Going Places
  • 25023 Posts
  • 802 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

@TallTrees wrote:

Just a thought @Mi-Amigo 

You could ask EmilieT for assistance, she may be able to help you with further procedures.

Best wishes TallTrees

Thank you @TallTrees 

I`ve looked at the link you included and its marked "solved" with the solution being to get a block put on - which is what I have done but as @MI5 has pointed out the 02 block doesn`t stop these scammers but when she`s back off the Easter break, I will raise it with @EmilieT and see if she can help.

animated-elephant-image-0327

Girl in a jacket

Some people see things as they are and ask "Why?"; I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?"
Robert Kennedy.

Message 11 of 79

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Sorry to hear you have been a victim of these scammers @Mi-Amigo (Particularly when you have placed a bar on Charge to mobile and Premium numbers..which SHOULD have blocked this from happening)

It does appear there is NO protection for customers whatever steps you take.

This information will cause a few comments on a guide I am currently working on!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 79

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
As I explained above, payforit is not covered by those bars.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 79

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
As I explained above, payforit is not covered by those bars.

I know what was said above @MI5 

Just a pity that wasn't mentioned when I asked for collaboration on the Tips to Avoid Unexpected Charges thread. rolling_eyes

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 79

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
When was that?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 79

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

2nd February. I'm currently in the middle of producing it as a guide (eventually)

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-and-Feedback/Tips-to-avoid-unexpected-charges-on-your-bill...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 79

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
There's nothing in that thread that says those bars will prevent payforit though, so there was nothing to say?

Currently using:
Message 17 of 79

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
There's nothing in that thread that says those bars will prevent payforit though, so there was nothing to say?

Agreed. Though no-one added anything about Payforit either.

Add to that, it's been 'custom and practice' for us to include the links to Charge to Mobile (and Premium rate numbers) when people complain of being scammed? As suggested by @Marjo here

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly/Snack-Games/m-p/1112166/highlight/true#M146903

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 79

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
All you need is a link to Payforit Sucks. No one can add anything better than is covered there.
Marjo's advice is good for preventing some charges but not Payforit, as proved by @Mi-Amigo.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 79

Cleoriff
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Payforit sucks is already added to the guide I am writing.

Just pointing out that no one mentioned it in February and I was (and still am) using info from @Marjo 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 79