Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Hi @PhilG

It's not known exactly what will happen after Brexit, so no one on the forum can answer your question with any certainty. However, I did hear on the news yesterday that it's likely all mobile operators will reintroduce roaming charges once Brexit has taken place. 

Will they have increased if and when O2 reintroduce roaming charges, that's quite possible. But no one here can answer that question till after O2 makes any reintroduction official, and indicates what those charges will be. Until then we just don't know.

That's the best answer we can give at the moment and welcome to the forum, by the way Welcome

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It will be a political decision rather than a network decision anyway, so the networks won't have a choice in what they do.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@PhilG   This is as much as we know, reported yesterday from the BBC.

If we don't manage a 'no deal Brexit' then mobile charges for roaming could be introduced.

The government have given an assurance, if we can't get a deal, they would cap data charges at £45.

Funnily enough, if you read the article, Vodafone and Three have said they will NOT charge their customers for roaming when we exit the EU on March 29th.

'Ifs, buts and maybe' situation at the moment....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45501007

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22938 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@PhilG   This is as much as we know, reported yesterday from the BBC.

If we don't manage a 'no deal Brexit' then mobile charges for roaming could be introduced.

The government have given an assurance, if we can't get a deal, they would cap data charges at £45.

Funnily enough, if you read the article, Vodafone and Three have said they will NOT charge their customers for roaming when we exit the EU on March 29th.

'Ifs, buts and maybe' situation at the moment....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45501007

The article also says "The EU rule capping what mobile phone operators could charge each other will stop applying to the UK after Brexit."

What the UK government 'legislates' would carry no weight with any EU mobile operator.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

True @Bambino

Though maybe O2 Travel Inclusive would start to work in places like the U.S, N.Z, and Australia.rolling_eyes

I was a bit cynical of the comment "Vodafone and Three have assured their customers they will still be 'free to roam like at home". It won't be up to them, it will be whatever foreign networks agree to ....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Networks could still cover the costs themselves wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
Networks could still cover the costs themselves wink

They could....it's waiting to see if they will. I bet we all know the answer to that one...Rolleys

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 12

Jessiep123p
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I think there working on there best to keep it as it is but we’ll have too see! 

hopefully it will be Cos it’s quite handy to have

Message 9 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122356 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Jessiep123p wrote:

I think there working on there best to keep it as it is but we’ll have too see! 

hopefully it will be Cos it’s quite handy to have

It is handy to have @Jessiep123p (particularly when it works properly) wink

Great to see you posting by the way. If you want to introduce yourself to the rest of the forum then you can do so here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/Welcome-to-the-O2-Community-Introduce-yourself-here/m-p/1...

Welcome

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 12